Scope rings and bases

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Turkyman, Sep 16, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. ntsqd

ntsqd Well-Known Member

I have a set of Talley's on a rifle. I like them for their low mass. I lapped them and they were pretty close to start with.

2. Turkyman

Turkyman Member

Which ones?

3. Turkyman

Turkyman Member

Which base did you go with and what height? And extended or non extended?

4. Sykes

Sykes Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I used the Talley lightweight, they are a one piece ring base combo. Non extended and probably used mediums, maybe lows. With the 50mm scope your going with mediums will probably work well. Bergara uses the same hole pattern as Remington 700s.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd Well-Known Member

Does Begara also use the same thread size and a Rem 700? I found out the hard way that Howa does not.

6. Michael Hathorn

Michael Hathorn Active Member LRH Team Member

American rifle company M10 rings!!

BadDogPSD likes this.
  7. Turkyman

Turkyman Member

You think the lightweights are good enough to shoot 500-600 yards?

8. Sykes

Sykes Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Yea no problem.

9. Hoss50

Hoss50 Well-Known Member

I have tried a few different combos lately that I have liked. EGW rail with seekins rings, DNZ 1 piece, and old school Leupold. Torqued and lapped. All have been good so far.

I have a set of Talley lightweight on a rifle too, and they are good, but get a set with the 20moa cant. Mine are the flats on a 300 win mag with a Vortex HSLR. I only have enough adjustment to dial to about 950 yards. Anything farther and I will have to hold over with MOA hash marks.

10. nmbsniper

nmbsniper Member

I've used Badger and Leupold Mk4's in the past for all my tactical stuff and hunting in the past. I found Warne Mountains work great in recent years. I just purchased Leupold Frontier or Freedom (cant remember the name) for 7mm-08 build. Looks like the Mk4's but smaller design and lighter, cost is under $100 bucks. I like having 4 screws per ring for mounting, personal preference. Also Warne and the latter Leupold come in a low mount.

11. antelopedundee

antelopedundee Well-Known Member

The one piece bases are great if they are of the picatinny type or can accommodate Weaver style rings. The Redfield and Leupold are ok too as long as you don't need to use the windage screws to do any adjustments as you're more likely to bend the scope tube than turn the ring in the dovetail. I use a bit of lube on the dovetail surface before turning it in. If the dovetail is loose like it could be on used rings and bases, it's been said that one can fix that by squeezing the 2 flat surfaces in a vise. Never worked for me.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  12. wsq

wsq Well-Known Member

Love talleys don’t seem to leave ring marks plus just look at what most custom builders use

13. yr_tiger

yr_tiger Member

Warne Maximus