Scope rings and bases

I have a set of Talley's on a rifle. I like them for their low mass. I lapped them and they were pretty close to start with.

Talley lightweights are what I put on my Bergra Ridge 300 wm. Shot it to 900 yards with a Leupold VX6HD

Hawkins Hybrid rings are even better.

I'm a big fan of the one piece ring base combo on a hunting rifle.

Which base did you go with and what height? And extended or non extended?

I used the Talley lightweight, they are a one piece ring base combo. Non extended and probably used mediums, maybe lows. With the 50mm scope your going with mediums will probably work well. Bergara uses the same hole pattern as Remington 700s.

so my first build is almost done.
300 wm bergara ridge
5-25x50 vortex pst gen 2
Now I just need to figure what rings and bases are the best for the money. Looking to shoot the gun out to about 500 yards. Any help is appreciated. I will be putting a muzzle break on the gun in the near future as well.
American rifle company M10 rings!!

I used the Talley lightweight, they are a one piece ring base combo. Non extended and probably used mediums, maybe lows. With the 50mm scope your going with mediums will probably work well. Bergara uses the same hole pattern as Remington 700s.

You think the lightweights are good enough to shoot 500-600 yards?

I have tried a few different combos lately that I have liked. EGW rail with seekins rings, DNZ 1 piece, and old school Leupold. Torqued and lapped. All have been good so far.

I have a set of Talley lightweight on a rifle too, and they are good, but get a set with the 20moa cant. Mine are the flats on a 300 win mag with a Vortex HSLR. I only have enough adjustment to dial to about 950 yards. Anything farther and I will have to hold over with MOA hash marks.

I've used Badger and Leupold Mk4's in the past for all my tactical stuff and hunting in the past. I found Warne Mountains work great in recent years. I just purchased Leupold Frontier or Freedom (cant remember the name) for 7mm-08 build. Looks like the Mk4's but smaller design and lighter, cost is under $100 bucks. I like having 4 screws per ring for mounting, personal preference. Also Warne and the latter Leupold come in a low mount.

Talley lightweights are what I put on my Bergra Ridge 300 wm. Shot it to 900 yards with a Leupold VX6HD

Hawkins Hybrid rings are even better.

I'm a big fan of the one piece ring base combo on a hunting rifle.

The one piece bases are great if they are of the picatinny type or can accommodate Weaver style rings. The Redfield and Leupold are ok too as long as you don't need to use the windage screws to do any adjustments as you're more likely to bend the scope tube than turn the ring in the dovetail. I use a bit of lube on the dovetail surface before turning it in. If the dovetail is loose like it could be on used rings and bases, it's been said that one can fix that by squeezing the 2 flat surfaces in a vise. Never worked for me.

Last edited:
Love talleys don't seem to leave ring marks plus just look at what most custom builders use

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.