Science this 200 yard shot anomaly

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Zen Archery, Feb 13, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. 25WSM

25WSM Well-Known Member

That video is super cool. Now I need to know how slow a Rim fire has to go to not have the supersonic air coming off in the vertical plane. Shep

2. theosmithjr

theosmithjr Well-Known Member

I too have seen this MANY TIMES over the years Groundhog hunting late evenings. I've seen it again on EXTREME LONG SHOTS thru the Spotting scope as well, and with multiple calibers.
    Theosmithjr

NEMTHunter likes this.
  3. djm670

djm670 Well-Known Member

Am I seeing this right.. does the water spout happen before the bullet reaches the location of the spout and the piece of wood?

en

Bob Wright likes this.
  4. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

Same phenomenon as a jet flying very low over water and creating a big "wake" behind it in the water with the air pressure wave following it.

As JBHunter's photo shows, and as we all know, bullets have a supersonic wake. That is what disturbed the water just ahead of the instant of impact.

Eric B.

Bob Wright likes this.
  5. chickm1

chickm1 Well-Known Member

I don't see a phenomenon. What are you talking about?

Rich Coyle, duke75 and Barrelnut like this.
  6. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

The first time I ever saw a bullet in flight with the sun glinting off the base, I was in awe and disbelief as to how slow it looked and whether it was the bullet or not.
    For about an hour and a half, every shot was visible from 3 different cal rifles, a 25-06, a 300WM and a 338WM.

Cheers.

Bob Wright and SavageHunter11 like this.
  7. Toolhand

Toolhand Well-Known Member

Looks like the bullet skips off the water to me. I too have seen the video where a 50 bmg passes through a house of cards without disturbing them so hard for me to believe that the bullet caused a wake in the water. A jet actually has engines that are putting off thrust causing the disturbance, or am I looking at this totally wrong.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    duke75 likes this.
  8. 25WSM

25WSM Well-Known Member

A very low to the water jet is in the ground effect range. Once a plane is low to the ground the air between the wings and surface compress and provides more lift. On water the pressure displaces the water thus creating the tunneling effect. The spray out the back is caused by thrust from the engines blowing disturbed water. So if you look at a bullet and compare it to a wing it would be a symmetrical wing. That's the kind of wing on fast performance planes and jets because it has less drag. So as the bullet gets close to the water it's basically in the ground effect pushing the water down. The force coming off a wing is the Bernoullis principle. I would assume bullets have the same effects on them as wings. Full disclosure I am not an aeronautical engineer. But this is my best guess. Shep

9. Don A Parsons

Don A Parsons Well-Known Member

Big white target, rainy day, distance between you and target.

Watch bullet fly down range,,,, call the shot before it hits the target.

Sounds simple to me. Ha

10. Mustang72

Mustang72 Well-Known Member

We aren't watching a 300 or 338 wm or a lowly 50 bmg. We are watching a 6.5 creedmore!!!! Don't try to understand or explain it----- it's just magic!!!!!!!!!!

11. Deviant

Deviant Well-Known Member

It is pretty cool.

12. duke75

duke75 Member

"a lowly 50 bmg". However the 6.5 creedmore, "it's just magic" Please, with all respect have you interest in an ocean front property in Arizona? There are far more calibers that out class the infamous 6.5 creedmore in every respect.

13. Toolhand

Toolhand Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic hence why I gave it a like.

14. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I was looking at the "Second bullet" image and had though it was the vapor trail behind the bullet that appeared to look like another bullet because it was going through the dew point becoming visible.

The camera shutter was another good analogy. notice how it maintained the same distance. I not sure that this distance would not change if it were the camera at different angles.

Maybe some of the ballistic experts on this site will give us the answer.

J E CUSTOM