School me on switch barrel setup

The remage/savage nut is super simple once you have the tools and head space gauges. You won't need a gunsmith anymore.

I have a mausingfield (la) and nucleus (sa). The tl3 is also a very nice option. They are both very easy to change calibers with. Note the mausingfield can go to .590 bolt face if that matters. The barloc is handy to limit your tools required and probably could be changed at the range. Even without barloc it is about a 10 minute change if you have the right tools. The barloc is quicker and you don't need the vise and action wrench.

Forgot to mention the crf is nice for switching since there is no spring pressure on the ejector to require Taking bolt down for headspace gauges. All those would be good for that.

Whats the point of messing with a barrel nut when you can swap shouldered barrels?
For me it is just simply buying a barrel that is ready to install. I don't need a gunsmith to check/adjust headspace like I would on a shouldered barrel.

For me it is just simply buying a barrel that is ready to install. I don't need a gunsmith to check/adjust headspace like I would on a shouldered barrel.
I think you are missing the point. There is no gunsmith needed for shouldered barrels that already fit the action. Actions that are made accurately enough can have shouldered barrels pre-made for them so you do NOT need to send in your rifle for barrel fitting. Such accurate actions include Bighorn, American Rifle Company, Curtis, Impact, Accuracy International.

For less accurately made actions like Remington, Defiance, Tikka, Ruger, Savage, etc a barrel with extra threads can be used where a barrel nut controls the head spacing. If you send one of these types of actions that vary form serial number to serial number to a quality gunsmith, they can record the measurements and send you replacement barrels that fit your serial number after only having your rifle once.

Screwing on pre-fit shouldered barrels is just as simple as it sounds.. screw off old barrel, screw on new barrel , shoot. NO need for Go/No-go gauges or head spacing as that was done when the barrel was made.

The Barloc and Switch Lug systems do not change this difference between an adjustable should barrel (nut system) and a fixed shoulder system. They simply make it possible to remove the barrels and install the barrels (Barloc with proper torque) without the need for putting an action wrench in the receiver or the barrel in a barrel wrench.

having flats milled on the muzzle end greatly facilitate the same thing without the Switch Lug or Barloc as a torque wrench can be used to unscrew the barrel without removing it barrelled action from the stock/chassis.

Nope, I'm not missing the point. I get everything you are saying, but I don't have any of those "accurately made"actions and neither do most. I get that a competent gunsmith doesn't need your action to fit a barrel if he keeps record of your stuff. What I'm saying is that with a barrel nut system the gunsmith is obsolete. I think we are saying the same thing, but it's getting lost in translation. I'm not for one over the other. I have a Savage with a nut that I change barrels, I also two shouldered barrels for my Remington, and I'm looking at getting a lug system for my big rifle. They all work.

Nope, I'm not missing the point. I get everything you are saying, but I don't have any of those "accurately made"actions and neither do most. I get that a competent gunsmith doesn't need your action to fit a barrel if he keeps record of your stuff. What I'm saying is that with a barrel nut system the gunsmith is obsolete. I think we are saying the same thing, but it's getting lost in translation. I'm not for one over the other. I have a Savage with a nut that I change barrels, I also two shouldered barrels for my Remington, and I'm looking at getting a lug system for my big rifle. They all work.

Wholeheartedly agree and I apologize for misunderstanding. If your or the OP already has an action they would like to use then yes the barrel nut system is very handy, just a little inletting on the stock for clearance around the barrel nut and your are good to go.

The other real advantage to a barrel nut system beside the use on less precise action is to be able to use the barrel between different rifles. A savage-style pre-fit with barrel nut can be swapped from a Bighorn to a Savage to a Mausingield or anything else that uses the Savage thread pattern. Can't go Remage to Savage but it does give you some added flexibility.

However if you are starting fresh as it seemed the OP was considering a TL3 then a shouldered pre-fit is far better, cheaper and less prone to error in setting up each time you change barrels if sticking with the same action of same accurate model of action.

All work well and we are very fortunate that these options exist today. Now if Bighorn or ARC would incorporate the Barloc into the action like AI has done...

Yes I was looking at starting a fresh build and was looking at the nucleus or TL3 one because both seem to be the easiest to do a shoulder type switch barrel but also because initially I wanted controlled round feeding, as of now that may not be so important and a may look at Curtis Axiom in a long action, Also one of my reasons for looking at those were because stocks are easier to source than for long action savage. if you have any other thoughts to offer please do.

Im very happy with my Curtis, I'm spoiled by it. If you want CRF and long action I would also look at the new APR actions. Nice price on those.

The more i look at the 3 (Nucleus, Bighorn TL3, Curtis Axiom) Im starting to lean toward a Axiom because of the 60 degree bolt lift and there smooth I got a chance to shoot one last night. So does anyone know where to find a Long action Axiom?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts