School me on Suppressors?

If your custom rifle had excessive headspace you'd be complaining, can't shim that . Quit smoking the crap DIY shim/some assembly required BS and do it right. I would love to see any well known gunsmith chime in and tell us all how many shims it takes to get it right.

Some people just come off a little argumentative..
So you feel that for a Precision rifle there's any difference between DT and a thread over brake?
Also does the brake reduce any additional recoil with a can over it?

too many other things to compare in my experience, I'm not going to take the time to buy 2 of the same cans in DT and QD and work up loads for both. I know I've shot good repeatable groups with both of mine.

hard to say since Idk if it's the can reducing the recoil or the brake inside the can. I could measure recoil with the brake and then swap it to a flash hider qd Mount and measure again but I'll never do it. Cool question though

If your custom rifle had excessive headspace you'd be complaining, can't shim that . Quit smoking the crap DIY shim/some assembly required BS and do it right. I would love to see any well known gunsmith chime in and tell us all how many shims it takes to get it right.
What's your issue man
Stop being a D Bag

Anyways, getting back on track.

@coop2564, as I said, it boils down to "your" personal preference and application. At this point, it's 2 for the OB and 4 for the DT. Only "you" can make that decision. Below are links that might help you in your decision-making process (advantages vs disadvantages). As you can see it got complicated unnecessarily.

https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/direct-thread-quick-attach-suppressors

https://amtacsuppressors.com/quick-disconnect-vs-direct-thread-suppressors/

Good luck!

Last edited:
All this direct thread stuff is hilarious. Look around, all of the critical joints in the world are taper interface. Aircraft turbines? Taper interface. Tie rods on big rigs? Taper interface. Worlds largest industrial pump seals? Taper interface. Worlds largest electricity generators? Taper interface. Wheel bearings? Taper interface. Worlds largest mining crushers? Taper interface. Suppressor? Taper interface.
........and how does your compact brake attach to your muzzle, LOL. The load path is not changed by adding a compact brake to mount your suppressor - the load still transfers at the shoulder of your threaded muzzle, and the 'system' still indexes at that same shoulder, haha.

My CA ridgeline 300wsm has 5/8-24 thread and currently has a radial style titanium brake. The sound and blast is very loud but it makes the gun very shootible from the recoil point, as a hunter I would love to have less recoil and less noise. How well do suppressors work at reducing kick compared to a radial brake? I assume I could get a 30cal can and switch back and forth from my 300wsm and my 6.5 cm they are same thread? Would you recommend the can that screws onto the brake or the direct mount where can screws onto barrel threads? I have never shot a suppressor and know very little about them, looking at the thunder beast ultra 5".
To the OP, as others have mentioned, TBAC is the current gold standard. You might consider the U7 over the U5 for your first can. As far as recoil goes, a suppressor will make for a slightly longer recoil pulse, and will have a smaller felt peak than a bare muzzle. A good side-port brake will reduce felt recoil much more than a suppressor, but will obviously be much louder and have a far shorter recoil pulse.

In regards to mounting, a compact brake mount is great if you like to occasionally like to shoot unsuppressed AND with a brake. Outside of that scenario, the CB mount will cost +/- $125 for every rifle you want to use that can with. The other thing to consider is that the CB mounted cans are generally easier to find over the DT.

The brake is not reducing recoil within the suppressor over it.

could it not be *possible* if the brake is more disruptive To the gases than a different flash hiding mount? Or maybe the brake has 2 baffles when the DT version only has one baffle in that space?

could it not be *possible* if the brake is more disruptive To the gases than a different flash hiding mount? Or maybe the brake has 2 baffles when the DT version only has one baffle in that space?
The fluid mechanics behind how a brake works to reduce recoil without a suppressor is different than when you have a suppressor over it. That initial volume between your muzzle and the first baffle are "pressurized" (technically incorrect verbiage used to illustrate) in basically the same amount of time whether or not you have a brake underneath - actually it will fill slightly faster with brake since the brake takes up volume. The gasses are then 'moving' through the suppressor filling up the additional volume between each of the subsequent baffles. The way a brake (without a can) redirects gasses to ultimately add a counter-acting force is not the same once a suppressor is screwed over it and the suppressor serves to capture and then redirect (again) the same gasses.

The fluid mechanics behind how a brake works to reduce recoil without a suppressor is different than when you have a suppressor over it. That initial volume between your muzzle and the first baffle are "pressurized" (technically incorrect verbiage used to illustrate) in basically the same amount of time whether or not you have a brake underneath - actually it will fill slightly faster with brake since the brake takes up volume. The gasses are then 'moving' through the suppressor filling up the additional volume between each of the subsequent baffles. The way a brake (without a can) redirects gasses to ultimately add a counter-acting force is not the same once a suppressor is screwed over it and the suppressor serves to capture and then redirect (again) the same gasses.
Very cool, I had thought the more total disruption you could manage might be a factor in recoil reduction. I guess it's more the volume itself than the number of baffles?

Tangent makes some great points. My opinion is that properly machined muzzle threads/shoulder and a properly machined thread over brake will essentially become one with each other and will be a semi permanent installation when used with the appropriate thread locking compound.

Now the suppressor can be moved to different rifles or removed for cleaning and will have a repeatable mount to index on and stay tight once its installed. The taper interface is superior to direct thread in every way in this application.

I run surefire cans, all QD with great results. Minor shim required on a couple of rigs, easy peasy and no more than 2 shims required. The shim kit is top notch that come with the muzzle device you choose. I've got a custom 300PRC with a proof 26" barrel and run the 300SOCOM on it and it's awesome, brake was timed to muzzle when we built it. I use the 300 SOCOM on my Christiansen 6.5 Creedmoor with great results all around. Military runs Surefire.

"SureFire SOCOM 2 Series Fast-Attach® sound suppressors ("silencers") are the most advanced in the world, incorporating certain enhancements to the original SOCOM Series, which includes the SOCOM556-RC and SOCOM762-RC models that were awarded US Military contracts after winning the most extensive and rigorous suppressor trials in USSOCOM's history."

Last edited:
This was off an AR15 test

But a lot should translate well. Silencers help with recoil reduction. Not as much as brakes. But better than bare muzzle.

I'm in the camp that prefers brake attached taper mount silencers. TBAC is awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.