Schmidt & Bender PMI

Pete ,
Thats good my 6.4mm is correct then.
The PMII is paralax version no illuminator.
So if the AW turns up and has the standard dove tail ,what ever size that is , can you bolt on a picatinny rail or are you stuck with the dove tail ?
Did you get my email about the cam ?
Cheers
Jeza

I got the email and replied. The AI sniper rifles are available on request with a picatinny rail. get on the blower and order it with one. if its too late then badger Ordnance make one. It needs the reciever drilling and tapping.. its an easy job. I just fitted a badger picatinny rail designed for the AI to a Sako .22.
Let me know if you need a badger rail ok.
Pete

Jeza,

Good news on the AW!

The AI mount seems to be about the one thing I disagree with Pete on -but then I am not removing and replacing my scope frequently (at all).
If you are anticipating removing/replacing the scope frequently then Pete's advice is correct -you couldn't sensibly expect repeatability with al alloy; if you will want to swap the scope to other rifles, then picatinny etc would be your only sensible option.
If, however, you're going to leave the scope on; I find the AI mount absolutely fine -it's pre-canted and, in the world of AI prices, surprisingly cheap. It's also 'Issue' [Pete you can trump the 'issue' argument by posting the 338 pic I sent (minus details) I would do so to take the **** out of my own argument, but haven't got the pic on my home computer]

I understand where Pete's coming from on this, but it works for me -and I drag my AW on the ground with just a scope and muzzle cover.
Good price on the S&B, can't go wrong with a 30 year warranty, I did cartwheels when I got my 4-16 for £775.

Alg,

Never handled a nightforce (made in Japan aren't they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, so can't comment on their weight.; but if weight is a concern, the 4-16 PM2 is not the scope for you. It's big and heavy enough to use as a riot baton (but then, it's also strong enough to take it! unlike, I suspect, the Tasco -sorry, I mean Nightforce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Pete,

Good pic, must be the value of a small car on and around that gat -has your wife been fully briefed?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brown Dog, the wife drives a VW golf that i paid 100 euros for. onmy sons first driving lesson in my pajero (he was 11 then) he backed into it, the wind is still dented. so don't tell her about all my gadgets.. !! ha ha..
Ref the AI rings,, remember ive had a lot to do with a lot of scope rings,, not just one set, ive seen em bend, break, the works, not a patch on a picrail and a set of badger rings.
Pete

Thanks for your opinions.

I dont mean to go on about it (but im going to!) whats the difference between picatinny rail and weaver system ,they look similar ie location rod across mount?

What is more common ?

I like the idea of , easy changing scopes /night vision (theres another question for later!)/already have weaver on another rife.

Now that we talk about mounts, have you ever tried Talley?
They have worked well for me in the past.

As for the PMII, you say the reticle subtends more than in a leupold, is your reticle in the first or second plane? Does S B make both in the PM II line?

Yesivetreid Tally, they are an ok mount for a normal hunting scope. I far prefer a picatinny rail and over engineered mounts like the badger rings, they are bulletproof.
the difference between the weaver and the picatinny isn't much. the picatinny is mil spech, cross slot spacing is the same on all the 1 piece pic rails.the weaver rings usualy fit the picrail but not visa-versa.
The PMII's are all 1st focalplain.. i wouldn't want any thing else, it means i can range with the reticle at any power setting and that there is no chance of zero wander throughout the power settings.. I'm more than happy with the thickness of the reticle for the intended tast of the scope, and that is killing 2 or 4 legged game. i have absolutely no doubt that the bullet goes exactly where i put the cross every time, its just that if you are in to shooting tiny groups at 100m or whatever, then a target reticle should be your choice and not a sniper reticle.
Pete

Jeza, my S&B contact says they need your scope , the pitch on the adjustment thread is different in someof the PM scopes and to ensure you get the right cam, they would like to have the scope, this ensures you dont end up with wierd adjustments. you can send it to me or direct to them, mention my name. ( I'llemail you ref this ok)
Brown Dog.. 308 BDC only available through AI.. blank cam and engrave your self seems the way.. i'd suggest getting your cam engraved above the current markings. if the unit armourere has a gravograph pantograph engraver its a 5 min job,, i'm looking for such a maschine at the mo, when i get one, i'll engrave your cam if you want ok..
pete

Hello Pete ,
Ok I will send it out , while its over I wonder if they could illuminate the reticle?
How much would it cost?

Jeza

Hello Pete,
Sorry for delayed reply had a mad week!
I have just taken the PMI off and am wondering what to do next.
The PMII is now on my AMT .22 LR and i am off to zero it tonight.
This is the first time I have used the PMII so need to have a go with it, I love the PMI and don't think I want to part with it but things could change!
The web site looks cool,
If I didnt have the accuracy on the way I would be ordering one of your LRH rifles I recon.

Regards
Gerald

Pete, when you say SB reticle is not too thin.... what do you exactly mean? I am not interested in a target dot or similar reticle, but I want it to be thin enough as to not have it cover the target to be shot at long ranges...besides, is the dot´s size in the mildot ret. when in max. power similar to those in scopes with second plane ret.? I guess the dots also change their size.

alg,

Those 2cm dots are equivalent to 0.72in dots at 100yds. They are easy to sight on at 100m. At 200m I would require 4cm target dots (ie 1.44in dots at 200yds) and so on.

Hope that helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts