Schmidt & Bender

I have a few and love them!!! Mine are PMII's and Zeniths----no shortcomings that I can think of except price..

I have a few and love them!!! Mine are PMII's and Zeniths----no shortcomings that I can think of except price..

Thanks.

I'm starting out in this long range hunting gig with a stock Sendero SFII 300 RUM. I'm going to take my time in setting it up as I see fit.
Perhaps the SB's are tooooo good for such a humble rifle:D
Nonetheless, I've done enough hunting up to 450 yds to know that a good scope is essential and also that price alone is not necessarliy THE one and only hallmark of a quality scope.
I have a friend (don't we all?:D) who loves his Nikon scopes (and an old Tasco:eek:) and I watch him out shoot others with far more expensive rifles & scopes.

Don't have any experience other than looking through a few at dusk. I'm leaning towards a 3-12x50 Precision Hunter. I can have the turret marked up to 1000yds and it's not a real tall turret, good for my hunting rifle.

I was looking into S&B and USO for the 338 Lapua I am building. I ended up picking the USO 3-17 scope for the following:

1) Total Elevation travel. S&B was 56MOA verse 70MOA I think on the USO.
2) The Larger magnification range. S&B were 3-12 verse 3-17 on the USO.
3) MOA Reticle - USO offers an MOA reticle so that the knobs and the reticle are equivalent to each other.

Now the S&B is lighter weight by a lot, which was one of the things I did not like about the USO scope.

Now I am not saying that S&B is a bad scope. They are one of the clearest scopes I have looked thru and it took a lot of research to make the final decision between the two.

SES

First Focal Plane. The nice thing about the USO scopes is that they are made to your specs. If you want more travel just order it with a 35mm or 40mm tube. They have metric or moa reticles. They have different types of elevation knows. One of the best features I think they have is the EREK elevation knob. It is full travel in two turns and it is really easy to read. You can go to www.usoptics.com and configure a scope online and see all the options you can get with them.

The one I just orders for my 338 Lapua is the SN-3 T-pal 3-17. They are sending the scope body and all the external parts to my gunsmith so that when the gunsmith ceramic coats all the metal peices of the rifle he will coat the scope body as well. So all the metal on the rifle will match. This is the second scope I have bought from them and they are very easy to work with and are extreemly flexible. They are not cheap though. I think I will have about $3000 into the scope, anti-cant device and sunshade when I am all finish.

SES

I have a Leupy Mk4 16x and I thought that it was the bee's knees.:)

I have a PGWDTI Timberwolf in .338LM w/ a 3-12x56 S&B PMII LR w/a 34mm tube and it's much better than the Leupy.:)

You will not be disappointed.:D

I have a SB Classic 3-12x42 #8 mounted on my .257 Weatherby Accumark.

I did a bunch of homework on many of the high end scopes (Swarovski, Leupold VX 7, Zeiss Diavari and the SB) including field tests in daylight, dusk night and overcast/rain. IMO, the SB and Zeiss Diavari were extremely close with and edge to the Diavari only in total darkness. The Swarovski did nothing for me and I couldn't bring myself to pay $1500 for a Leupold VX 7.

I bought the SB because of the contruction and what MANY others had told me about their durability. I absolutely love the scope especially the FFP reticle. I'm about to finish my first season with and I love it. As many others have said, you will not be disappointed. I wasn't and just ordered my second one for my .300 Weatherby.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.