Scary incident at the range

this-some-stupid-stuff-vinny.gif

Thanks to all for the responses. I do own 300 black although not shooting it that day. I am going to assume that somehow a 300 BO round got dropped in with the 556 ammo previously. My bad for missing it when I loaded the mag. I am lucky and humbled by the experience. Ashamed to say that I assumed a 300 blackout would not chamber in 556. Definitely a learning experience. Attention to detail is the key.
This is for all those who missed it. Like I said earlier thanks for posting. Mistakes happen all the time and you sharing this will make us all aware of this possible problem. And anyone that thinks it can't happen to them should be careful. A very experienced Rangemaster had a firearms accident that cost him his life. A well respect LE Rangemaster with vast firearms experience. If it can happen to him it can happen to any of us. So thanks for educating me on the ability of the 300 BO being chambered into a 223/ 5.56 AR 15.

Interesting. a 308 caliber chambering in a 223 caliber....I would ahve never thought that possible...
Years ago a person brought in his AR-15 with a stuck bolt. I looked at the magazine and it was loaded with .30 carbine. He said he purchased carbine ammo for his AR15 Carbine. The bullet exited (standard 110 gr) but the case expanded to fill the space where the .223 should have been. Took over and hour to tear the gun down and get the bolt out. I lost the case over the 40+ years. I used a go/no go gauge and it was fine. Test fired remotely and function perfectly. the cases miked out true to a .223 dimensions. Probably the lower pressure that the .30 carbine operated at saved him and the gun. Comparing the two rounds (.30 and .223) the ogive of the .30 matched the bottleneck of the .223.

Years ago a person brought in his AR-15 with a stuck bolt. I looked at the magazine and it was loaded with .30 carbine. He said he purchased carbine ammo for his AR15 Carbine. The bullet exited (standard 110 gr) but the case expanded to fill the space where the .223 should have been. Took over and hour to tear the gun down and get the bolt out. I lost the case over the 40+ years. I used a go/no go gauge and it was fine. Test fired remotely and function perfectly. the cases miked out true to a .223 dimensions. Probably the lower pressure that the .30 carbine operated at saved him and the gun. Comparing the two rounds (.30 and .223) the ogive of the .30 matched the bottleneck of the .223.
Just repeating what most have said, I am glad the OP did not get hurt and I am happy he shared the incident.

I always tape and mark my 300 AAC magazines because I shoot both 5.56 and 300 AAC on the same shooting outings. I also mark them because I shoot both subsonic and supersonic.
Lessons I learned from this post:
A 300AAC will chamber in a .223/5.56 rifle. (and so will a 30 carbine) The result is catastrophic to th rifle and could be to the shooter as well.
It is important to keep ammo and magazines seprate.
Slow down when loading magazines and make sure the right ammo I loaded. (Not just for this case, but for any firearm)

Was shooting AR yesterday. About 10 or 11th shot the rifle blew up. I was shooting factory rounds from a reputable manufacturer (bulk box of 1000). At the shot I felt powder hit my face. The bottom was blown out of the magazine and several rounds in the mag were dented/deformed. Bottom of bolt carrier was mangled. Got home and got the bolt back and this is what is left of the case and the projectile that came out has me dumbfounded. Take a look at pics and tell me your thought please. View attachment 368915View attachment 368914View attachment 368913View attachment 368916
Yep! Obviously long and heavy projectile if 5.56! Something is bad wrong if that was loaded in 5.56 cartridge!
The engraving looks like it was EXTREMELY tight and has EXTREMELY long bearing surface!
Lucky you are ok!
Glad you was not harmed

You learned a lesson the hard way, but lived to tell the tale.

I mark anything associated with 300bO with red tape. Mags, ammo box , rifle.
I actually have coyote brown pmag gen 3 with mag markers just for 300BO. Should be able to tell by feel too as even the 115 gr BO's are 2x the weight of 5.56 plus they feel differently when loading mags. Most of my BO's are 209-220 grain which feel really nose heavy.

300 blk in 556
Hence the fire formed short case
The bullet did retain almost all its wait
Not the Manufacturer fault
Loader of the magazine
Once you go black you never (glad your unscathed) come back
Now THAT REALLY SUCKS (try not to flinch on your next trigger pull!!
Remember this is all just my opinion and not science.