Scary incident at the range

Was shooting AR yesterday. About 10 or 11th shot the rifle blew up. I was shooting factory rounds from a reputable manufacturer (bulk box of 1000). At the shot I felt powder hit my face. The bottom was blown out of the magazine and several rounds in the mag were dented/deformed. Bottom of bolt carrier was mangled. Got home and got the bolt back and this is what is left of the case and the projectile that came out has me dumbfounded. Take a look at pics and tell me your thought please. View attachment 368915View attachment 368914View attachment 368913View attachment 368916
Fortunate for you there was a lot less powder capacity.

Years ago a person brought in his AR-15 with a stuck bolt. I looked at the magazine and it was loaded with .30 carbine. He said he purchased carbine ammo for his AR15 Carbine. The bullet exited (standard 110 gr) but the case expanded to fill the space where the .223 should have been. Took over and hour to tear the gun down and get the bolt out. I lost the case over the 40+ years. I used a go/no go gauge and it was fine. Test fired remotely and function perfectly. the cases miked out true to a .223 dimensions. Probably the lower pressure that the .30 carbine operated at saved him and the gun. Comparing the two rounds (.30 and .223) the ogive of the .30 matched the bottleneck of the .223.
Dam.

Mfg. should issue recall for the ammo involved. Contact them and distributor immediately.
Others should stop using that ammo.

300 Blackout round loaded in your chamber is the most likely cause. The pictures of your upper, the magazine, and chamber are nearly identical to 3 other incidents of 300 Blackout being loaded in a 556 or 223 Wylde chamber that I have personally witnessed as the former range master for a major police department on the west coast. The 30 caliber bullet hits the lands as the actions cycles and is pushed backwards into the case causing a compressed load. Coupled with the bullet resting against the lands which most reloaders know can cause a pressure spike, this is the recipe for the disaster you experienced. The bolt rides forward enough to go into battery and when the trigger is pressed KABOOM. 2 rifles had regular loads and were both destroyed causing minor injuries to the shooters. The 3rd rifle fired a sub sonic round. In that case the bullet came out of the barrel like a 4 inch long piece of lead spaghetti, which I recovered just behind the target stand. This rifle basically stayed together, but upon close inspection of the chamber it was found to be cracked.
JMHO

Here's your sign.jpg

Bang your head ***** cat.gif

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

@FEENIX Brother.....the skulls are mighty thick. Find one of those with a concrete grade post driven through it to hit with the head. Only way this thread will wither and go away. 7 more pages baby....it will be there tomorrow no problem. I have read every post and there is no question the OP maybe fired the wrong round and he needs a lot of help finding out what he did. 🤣 🤪🤪

Based on reading comprehension, I'm surprised this doesn't actually happen more often..........
It happens all the time and it drives us up the wall. People react to the first post from the "OP" and don't READ any more. If people
don't want to read the entire thread and see what's been discussed then they just ought to opt out and go listen to PODCASTS. Read folks, that's why it's called a thread, jeezeLouise. See post 36 for Pete's sake.