Savage's Adjustable Muzzle Break?

Jflounder

I have several questions about the ballistics of an adjustable muzzle break. I just bought the Savage Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" barrel. It has an adjustable muzzle break on it and I found out that the rifle actually has a 24" barrel with a 2" muzzle break (which was upsetting to me).
Some of my questions:
Savage says that the rifle had a 26" barrel when in fact it's a 24" barrel with a 2" muzzle break. I know a muzzle break is slightly larger than the actual barrel. With that being said, if I have the muzzle break in the off position will that act as an extra 2" on the barrel? With the muzzle break closed, will the rifle act as if it's a "true" 26" barrel? Is that why Savage claims it's a 26" barrel?
Will sighting in my rifle with the muzzle break open effect the accuracy of the bullet if I were to shoot it later on with the muzzle break in the closed position?

I appreciate all the feedback I can get.

I have a Savage Weather Warrior in 7MM Magnum with a 22" barrel and the on-off muzzle brake that makes it 24". It is a very accurate barrel and the brake makes it much easier to shoot accurately. I would not be worried about the difference between 24" and 26" in barrel length. You will lose 50-75 fps at most and even for realistic long range hunting situations that is not a real issue. When the brake is closed you could potentially gain a bit in velocity but again it would not be enough to matter. As far as accuracy relative to whether the brake is open or closed, the only way to find out is shooting the rifle....course then you have to make the decision as to whether the increased recoil is causing the difference or if the brake is. With my 7MM Weather Warrior and 120-140gr Berger bullets moving at 3000-3100fps I would not hesitate to take it on a hunt for anything in North America that doesn't eat people.

If you opt to use something like a 168gr Berger with a muzzle velocity of 2900fps...easily doable with a 24" barrel, then you have great long range potential with enough energy to kill well past 600 yards.

I have several questions about the ballistics of an adjustable muzzle break. I just bought the Savage Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" barrel. It has an adjustable muzzle break on it and I found out that the rifle actually has a 24" barrel with a 2" muzzle break (which was upsetting to me).
Some of my questions:
Savage says that the rifle had a 26" barrel when in fact it's a 24" barrel with a 2" muzzle break. I know a muzzle break is slightly larger than the actual barrel. With that being said, if I have the muzzle break in the off position will that act as an extra 2" on the barrel? With the muzzle break closed, will the rifle act as if it's a "true" 26" barrel? Is that why Savage claims it's a 26" barrel?
Will sighting in my rifle with the muzzle break open effect the accuracy of the bullet if I were to shoot it later on with the muzzle break in the closed position?

It will always be a 24" barrel with or without the brake. In order to be safe and to prevent bullet strikes, all muzzles have a .020 or larger bore than the rifle. some have a very large chamber and both contribute nothing to velocity.

It should do OK with the 24" barrel and the velocity loss will be minimal .

J E CUSTOM

As long as the break is a fixture on the barrel legally it is a 26" barrel. If you remove the break it is a 24" ( legal definition). Ballisticly it is not even 24".
Balisticly the barrel starts at the base of the chambered bullet and runs to the end of the rifling. So, depending on the depth of the seated bullet the barrel length can change.
I have a model 111, 7mm rm with a 26" barrel (no muzzle break). I load 150 grn sp seated to the rifleing the barrel length is 24&1/2". So, you tell me is it 26" or 24.5"?

Some of my questions:

I doubt there's much difference between a 26" barrel and a 24" barrel. The standard length for a factory barrel seems to be 24", and all the loading manuals I own use data from a 24" barrel. With the muzzle brake open or closed, you still have a 24" barrel. Remember the 7mm mag case is not exactly huge in the first place.
gary

Thanks for the feedback! I took it out today to sight it in and I'm very impressed with the rifle. I'm shooting Winchester 150gr ammo and I'm shooting 3 shot groupings at quarter size at 100yrds. I think the rifle would do better if I wasn't shaking so much in the 15 degree weather. I shot it with the break open and closed and didn't notice a difference in the groupings. The 7 mag doesn't really have a huge kick to begin with but I can easily see my target get hit with the break open cause of the little kick. As I'm new here to CO, I'm hoping to get better with my long range shooting to go antelope huntin next year. Again, thanks for the feedback. As I'm trying to get more into shooting long ranges you'll probably see more posts from me asking questions.

Thanks for the feedback! I took it out today to sight it in and I'm very impressed with the rifle. I'm shooting Winchester 150gr ammo and I'm shooting 3 shot groupings at quarter size at 100yrds. I think the rifle would do better if I wasn't shaking so much in the 15 degree weather. I shot it with the break open and closed and didn't notice a difference in the groupings. The 7 mag doesn't really have a huge kick to begin with but I can easily see my target get hit with the break open cause of the little kick. As I'm new here to CO, I'm hoping to get better with my long range shooting to go antelope huntin next year. Again, thanks for the feedback. As I'm trying to get more into shooting long ranges you'll probably see more posts from me asking questions.

brother inlaw has one on a 30-06, and his works very well. But he also has a very short barrel length, and seems to be pretty loud.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.