Savage / Shilen questions

Yes Gary, I use it for my muzzleloader, it got that bluish/greenish color as far a description TC posted next: "A synthetic based lube that withstands the high operating temperatures of muzzleloaders to prevent fouling residue from binding breech plugs. Also works well on nipples and shotgun choke tubes. "

207-7491.jpg

Yes Gary, I use it for my muzzleloader, it got that bluish/greenish color as far a description TC posted next: "A synthetic based lube that withstands the high operating temperatures of muzzleloaders to prevent fouling residue from binding breech plugs. Also works well on nipples and shotgun choke tubes. "

207-7491.jpg

Choke tubes!! Now you've hit the magic number. Probably everyone one of us has had to deal with a stuck choke tube at one time or another. I think I know what the grease is, but don't remember what or who blends it. I've got to get me a tube of that stuff for shotguns alone (and turkey season is upon us right now)
gary

Hey what do you guys think about a bullpup stock for a savage rebuild ive seen them for sale for the AK and sks?

i have heard that shilen barrels that have been coming with tool marks in them.

a lot of that is in what grade of Shilen barrel your buying. Tony Boyer was using nothing but Shilen barrels for years (I don't know what he's using right now). Last time I heard he had won more meets than anybody out there. I know a couple big time shooters in the far northwest that use nothing but Pacnor barrels; yet I often hear someone cussing them. Lots of folks here like Krieger barrels, and they certainly are fine barrels. But if you pinned me down this morning I'd tell you right up front that the best barrels I ever looked thru were from Ron Pence (.308 & 6BR's). What I'm saying is that when you buy a super duper select match whatever brand it is, it's usually a pretty good barrel. And probably a better barrel than 97% of us can make full use of. Bill Calfee's rifles have won more rimfire meets than everybody else probably. He uses almost nothing but Lilja barrels. Yet Bill has often said he actually uses two out of every five he gets in. And old Bill's never been known to pull a punch, and will call a spade when he see's a spade.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.