338 - Shilen and Other Questions

ricknolan

I am new to this long range shooting and rifle building thing but all the reading has got my interest really peaked. And BTW thanks to all of you for your thoughts, ideas and writings.

My first project is with a Model 70 300 win mag I have in the safe. I ordered a stock and will start gathering up every thing to make it a 500 yard shooter. This is gong to be interesting.

Being a forward thinking kind of guy I am looking towards summer when I plan to start a second project. I plan to start with a Savage action and put together something that will do a 1,000 yard shot on an elk size critter. Since I am on a tight budget here is my thinking.

I am thinking either a 338 Edge or a 338 Lapua. Looks like a Shilen Match barrel is a good option for the money.

Since the Shilen lead time is way out there, I am thinking I should get a barrel on order now. If it takes 3 or 4 months to get the barrel that would be close to summer and then I can find an action and get started. Worst case scenario is, for what ever reason, I decide to not build the gun I am betting I would be able to sale the barrel without much, if any lose.

I am thinking a 28" Shilen Match Heavy Sportier. Good, bad or so-so choice.

Which twist 8" or 10"?

Is there anything else to consider at this point?

Thanks for your input.

rick,
your on the right track, look at the gun pictures,theres a lot of thinking that went into them builds. check out what custom Smiths build. you need a stock 4 your 338 build they are back longed as barrels are. your barrel choice is very good 1-10 twist should be fine. 28 inch will give you more bullet speed, make a build list for each rifle, tripple check each and every option. your advance thinking will save you from fustration down the road. good luck,and regards

Shilen

Rick in that list of things to do that was previously mentioned: You need a good quality trigger for long range shooting.

As you are finishing your current project it will be easier on subsequent projects to get everything line up. Its like Christmas each time a project is done.

The action will need to be opend up inorder to load a 338 Edge in the magazine box or you could just use it as a single shot. The action should be trued and squared by a quality smith and a trigger jog is a must as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.