Shilen Savage Barrels???

BENNYBOOBOO

Thinking about starting a build on a Savage/Stevens action and planting a barrel on it. Question is: Which one???

Pretty set on the .308 Win. cartirdge, but does anybody have experience with the Shilen pre-threaded pre-chambered barrels for Savage actions? Looks like a heck of a pipe for $335.

Any other companies make pre-threaded, pre-chambered barrels that fit Savage actions?

Ultimate goal is to build a solit 1/2MOA rifle for all-round use in the Pacific Northwest for game hunting, targets, varmints, and everything else a rifle is used for. (I don't want the rifle to be the weak link in the chain).

EH

Thinking about starting a build on a Savage/Stevens action and planting a barrel on it. Question is: Which one???

Pretty set on the .308 Win. cartirdge, but does anybody have experience with the Shilen pre-threaded pre-chambered barrels for Savage actions? Looks like a heck of a pipe for $335.

Any other companies make pre-threaded, pre-chambered barrels that fit Savage actions?

Ultimate goal is to build a solit 1/2MOA rifle for all-round use in the Pacific Northwest for game hunting, targets, varmints, and everything else a rifle is used for. (I don't want the rifle to be the weak link in the chain).

EH

Yes, I have a Shilen pre-fit on my Savage action. It's an 8" twist 28" Stainless Varmint 7mmWSM.

They are good barrels for the money.

Here is NSS or Accuracy Arms price structure for Stainless Select Match. $269- 26" any standard Savage taper. Add $20 for 28" and $40 for 30"

Here is some other makers with Savage pre-fits:
Lothar-Walther
Pac-Nor
McGowen
Shilen
Brux
Douglas via SSS

RIGHT ON!!! That's exactly what I was asking about. How's the accuracy of your setup (with preferred qualitly handloads)?

Wanting to build a 1/2 moa rifle, I'd start with a Savage action, Shilen barrel, aftermarket trigger-assembly-group, and a Stockade thumbhole stock. Like I said, it's going to be an all-round rifle and will not be perfect for any one style of shooting but should be good for several.

EH

I've heard many good things about the Shilen barrels..but a buddy of mine had his gunsmith spec both a Shilen and a McGowen Savage barrel at the same time.
The McGowen had much less run out than the Shilen did. McGowens only come in the Match Grade as well.
I'm quit impressed with the 308 and 6mm BR McGowens I've put on my Savages. In fact I've got a 300WM McGowen on the way as we speak.
Either will make a great shooter.

E.A. Brown also has Savage pre-fit barrel that are currently selling for $269 and shipping. My EABCO 260 Rem barrel is shooting just over half inch with my handloads. They do foul almost as bad as factory Savage barrels but mine is pretty easy to clean now after 150 rounds.

i also was wondering about the pre-threaded an chambered barrel for my build i want to commence. any opinions on what i should/should not buy would be much appreicated

at the moment this is what i have in mind:
-Rem 700 XCR II rifle (already have it in 300WSM)
-barrel (shilen prethreaded an chambered, but any better suggestions would be helpful)
-trigger ?????
-stock(looking at mcmillan game scout, but i like the a3 sporter also because i will be making off hand shooting as well as prone)
-optics?????

i Have a range of about $3000-$3500

Any tips/help will be awesome as i have never had a rifle built before!!!

I just built a Savage .308 with a Shilen prefit barrel. I did the 1 in 12 twist 22" long with the heavy varmint contour. I went with the chromoly match grade to save a few bucks. I also did a B&C Medalist stock and bedded it with bedrock. I've taken it to the range a couple of times and shooting all clean cold bore shots it is consistently shooting half MOA or better.

So Shilen builds some good barrels. I haven't tried any of the other companies barrels.

Go to savageshooters.com and check out the sponsors. You will find quite a few with barrels on the shelf, ready to ship. I've tried several barrels and like the CBI (made by Krieger) from Northland Shooters Supply best so far.

I went with a shilen select match prefit from northland shooting supplies for my stevens 200 in .223 and it shoots great[$339] . Also I got a E.R. Shaw prefit .308 barrel through The Gun Shack in san antonio tx for $159 for my model 10fp and its just a hammer. @ 400 yards its sending 155 bergers into 2 3/4 inches.... I put a $40 3 port brake on it from ross schuler[208-587-8993] and its a pussycat to shoot. LOTS OF FUN...:cool:

Take a look at the Shaw barrel website.

Bought a Savage replacement barrel for my Stevens 200 from Shaw. Chrome molly heavy magnum contour in 6.5x55 Swede. Think Shaw now charges $170 plus shipping for mine. Usually less than 1" 4 shot groups with mine. Groups would probably improve if I'd put a better trigger on the rifle.

Not sure, but think EB Brown's replacement Savage barrels are from Shaw.

Yes, I have a Shilen pre-fit on my Savage action. It's an 8" twist 28" Stainless Varmint 7mmWSM.

They are good barrels for the money.

Here is NSS or Accuracy Arms price structure for Stainless Select Match. $269- 26" any standard Savage taper. Add $20 for 28" and $40 for 30"

Here is some other makers with Savage pre-fits:
Lothar-Walther
Pac-Nor
McGowen
Shilen
Brux
Douglas via SSS

Yeah! like you know anything about Savages...:rolleyes: OK! OK! I'm joking!

This gentleman, geargrinder, put together a 338 Edge for me and used a 28"
McGowen barrel that is a solid half incher. Cleans so fast that I had a hard time
believing it. I'm a very happy camper with it. He also adjusted the trigger to just
a hair under 2 Lbs and glass bedded it. I have been shooting 300 gr. SMK but just
to see I got out of layaway some 300 gr. Berger. Still haven't shot them.

The only CON is that he was suppose to get a 30" barrel, which I won't let him forget, but after using it and shooting it I am glad he did because I'm getting
right at 2800 fps with the 28" barrel using H1000.

All and all they're great barrels.

Geargrinder bought everything for the built, did all the work, did not charge me
anything for doing all that, and let me pay him back as I pleased. And gave me
the rifle before the first payment!

What are friends for...:rolleyes: :cool: :D

Thanks God for otherwise I would not have an 338 Edge... He's a great friend!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.