SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

I Just bought a savage 110 in 7mm rem mag a couple weeks ago. It's my first centerfire and i love it. I put about 20 rounds through it last week and it was shooting a nice tight group. I've gotta get some new glass for it though, the package scope just isnt cutting it.

Ok, just got the new Stockade stock so I will post some pictures.

These two are not really long range guns, but they are Savages ...

Savage Model 16 FSS in 7mm WSM
Leupold VXlll 4.5x14, Long Range Target, M1 knobs, TMR reticle
Ken Farrell base with Burris Extreme Tactical Rings
Stockade Hunting Sporter stock
Sharp Shooter Supply trigger
Savage Tactical Bolt Handle from Brownells
Weighs in somewhere in the 7 to 8 lbs range on bathroom scale

It is getting to like the Berger 168 VLDs ...;)

S7300444.jpg

S7300455.jpg

This one is a work in progress, it is soon to be a 6.5 WSSM:

Savage Model 16 FCSS in 25 WSSM
Burris Black Diamond 2.5x10
Burris bases and Burris Signature Z-Rings
Factory Savage stock that has been 90% bedded in Devcon
Factory Accutrigger
Savage Tactical Bolt Handle from Brownells

Shoots the 110 Accubonds and 115 Berger VLDs real nice.

S7300465.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Model 12 LRPV in .223 with 1:7 twist. This is the best shooting rifle I have owned. Have shot groups under .2 with 75 grain amax 25 grains varget. Todate have taken ground hogs out to 471 yards. The barrel is so easy to clean and don't copper much at all. 100 rounds before I need to remove the copper. I will buy Savage again.
JDY

I have owned and built about 30 of them, I currently own 1 in 6.5x55 and 3 x 308's my sons, wifes and mine
here are 2 of mine

308 10 glass bed into a B&C stock
below the gun is the target shot with factory 308 168 grain
P1290423.jpg

targs10.jpg

and my 300 wm FCP-K with Burris XTR
P1290433.jpg

I have four savage rifles:

The first is a 93R17FV in .17HMR. It is the first Savage I bought. It's mission is to get ground hogs in the backyard and around barnyards. It works great for that.

The second Savage I bought is a model 10 GXP that started life as a .243 package rifle with a *** Simmons 3-9x40 scope on it. The barrel was just plain awful that came with it. I didn't know it at the time. When I finally had access to a borescope and saw how bad it was I replaced it with a used A&B barrel that I bought for $40.00 from a friend of mine and decided to use the rifle to teach myself to chamber and crown rifle barrels. The A&B barrel was chambered in 6mmBR. I sawed the 6mmBR chamber off, rechambered it as a .243, trued the receiver front face, bedded it, replaced the scope with a 6-24x40 Bushnell Banner, and now have a really accurate rifle that shoots everything from 55g NBT (ground hogs) to 95g NBT (white tail) including 75g V-Max (for cooyotes) into half inch groups. This is what it looks like now:

SavageModel10AnBbarrel-1CRS.jpg

The third Savage is one of the first year Model 12 LRPV rifles chambered in .22-250 with a 9" twist barrel. I love that rifle. It shot 1/4 MOA out of the box with 75g Hornady HPBT bullets and anything else I put in it. I shot it so much I shot the throat out of it so I sawed the chamber off and rechambered it. It's back to shooting about 3/8 MOA which is plenty good enough for ground hogs to 300 or 400 yards.

The single shot right bolt left port target action on the LRPV with the target accutrigger is fantastic! I won the factory class in the ground hog match the first two times I entered the rifle in it. A very good rifle.

My fourth Savage is a 112 BVSS long action

Savage112BVSSin7mmRemMagC-RS.jpg

chambered in 7mmMAG. This rifle is brand new. I shot a group like this on the first range trip

Group3from112BVSSAccubondRL25-A.jpg

when I put 30 rounds through it, then inspected the barrel with a borescope. It has the nicest barrel I've seen on a factory rifle. Period. Much better than the bore in the barrel on my LRPV which was pretty good. The chamber throat looks perfect

Throat-1.jpg

and is perfectly symmetrical near as I can tell. The receiver front face was nearly perfectly true.

The crown looked a bit nibbled on so I recrowned it

Re-Crowned-2jpg.jpg

Right now it's in my shop waiting for the epoxy to cure on a bedding job having had the receiver trued (very light cut did it) and the recoil lug replaced with one from Sharp Shooters Supply.

It was looking like a it would be a solid half MOA rifle out of the box - I'm expecting it to maybe tighten up a little with the crown recut and a good stress free bedding job. I bought it to be my first real long range hunting rifle for deer and coyotes (not worried about the fur).

And that's the story of my Savages.

Fitch

Savage Weather Warrior 116FHSAK review

My rifle is a 7mm Rem mag model FHSAK with the adjustable muzzle break. I gave it a 4 out of 5 because I've had some issues with the gun already. I purchased the firearm new two weeks ago and took it shooting for the first time last weekend. General observations of the rifle is that it is very sturdy construction compared to other rifles I've handled. The first thing I thought was that Savage has been busy trying to keep up with the "Jones" (Remington 700) while the Jones themselves have remained status quo because they are already the measuring stick. In my opinion in the visual test the Savage has passed Remington on their quality of construction. I was initially very impressed with how sturdy the floorplate was on the savage compared to the Remington 700's.... but that opinion changed as I'll get into later.

This is a beautiful rifle but mine was not without it's issues. I immediately took the stock off to adjust the trigger pull and while doing so I noticed that the pillar bedding on this is awesome for a stock rifle! Adjusting the trigger pull was very easy and I quickly got it down to just over 2.5 pounds. This is usually very light for a hunting rifle but the trigger safety allows you to lower your trigger pull without the risk of accidentally going off when dropped. The design and theory is very similar if not exactly the same as the glock triggers. I put the stock back on and noticed that when I did the free floating barrel was no longer evenly spaced between the stock. The space seemed close enough on one side that a small amount of vibration would cause it to rub. Unfortunately I didn't notice this issue until after I put my first box of ammo through it so that may have had an effect on the initial accuracy of the rifle which I will also get to in a second. I was able to back off an action block screw and re tighten it to get the barrel centered again but I have not shot it since. I absolutely LOVE this trigger as it is VERY easy to adjust as mentioned and VERY crisp with no creap and a clean break! In fact I just put a 3 lb timney trigger on an AR-15 and the Accu trigger feels much better to me and it's not even close!

As far as accuracy goes I went and bought the cheapest rounds I could get just to break the rifle in. I was not at too worried about spending money on accurate loads until the rifle is broken in. It started out very good as I got on paper at 100 yards with my first paper tuned shot and then adjusted the second shot to 1/2 inch left of the bullseye. The groups after that were not so good as the shots jumped down grouping about 8 inches low and left then slowly began to walk themselves back toward center. I know this was not due to my scope, rings, or bases as I bought equipment that would hold up to a .50 cal. I also know it was not me deviating as I had just finished shooting a 5 shot group under 1/4 inch with my sniper rifle. Anyway by the end of the box the groups ended up around 2 inches. As mentioned before the accuracy could have been affected by the barrel rubbing or the crappy rounds. I gave the rifle a good cleaning and found that there was a substantial amount of metal flake from the rifling and I'm sure this affected the accuracy as well. This for me is definately not an accuracy out of the box rifle as it needs some shooting and cleaning to get rid of the metal flake.

The biggest problem I had while shooting was that every other shot would cause the floorplate to open on it's own dropping the unspent rounds onto the bench. I was very frustrated as I kept checking to be sure it was tight. I later found a small set screw in the floorplate release that adjusts how easy the floorplate opens. Unfortunately I did not find this until after my first box so I don't know if it will fix the problem or not. I will say that the adjustment it made was VERY small and I'm not convinced it will fix the problem. I will put a couple more boxes of crap rounds through this then try some that I would expect to bring the groups within 1". For me the jury is still out on this rifle as to the accuracy which could be a big bummer as this is why I bought a Savage.

The muzzle break on this is awesome as it can be turned on or off. It is not a tunable break as a lot of people have asked. It is also very sturdy and of impressive construction. The difference is very noticable from on to off! You can pretty much pick your poison...you can either take the wallop on your shoulder or pay the price on your ears with the muzzle break turned on. When the break is turned on my ears were ringing, even through ear plugs. The buttpad is VERY soft and gives a very nice feel on your shoulder... however after taking it out of the safe this morning I notice that a chunk of it is already missing! I have no idea how it happened but it's obviously an indication that the pad is not very durable!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.