Savage rifles

Iron Worker

What is it about Savage rifles,they are so accurate? Why?
confused.gif

I could be wrong but I think it is about attitude. I think the people there say, let's not F-CK around. Let's execute. Let's deliver the most accurate rifle we can. It is simple. It is no nonsense. They work with what they have and they deliver.

And yes, as you have observed, it IS!

A very accurate out-of-the-box shooter!

Taliking to a savage rep one time and his answer was, Rem, Win and and others put all of the money in looks, we put it in the barrel and performance.

I bought a 116 in April for $299 in 300 RUM. I bedded it, recrowned it, and put on a Holland brake on it. It easily shoots half inch groups and is light weight. I took a 3x3 mule deer with it last month.

I'm probably going to change my user name to Senior Savage and sell my senderos.

Ronnie

Hey fellas, I have been considering a magnum for awhile and was thinking about getting it in a savage rifle. What are you thoughts on how the barrels hold up compared to remington or winchester or ruger. Will they take roughly the same amount of shooting before throat erosion and things like that?

I bought a Savage 112BVSS in 7mm Rem Mag a few months ago. When working up a good load with the 162gr A-max bullets and H4831, the largest 3 shot group was 3/4" and the smallest 1/4". Average around 1/2". The amazing thing was that all groups were with different loads across a 5 grain spread!

To say Savage make accurate rifles straight out of the box is an understatement!

It could have something to do with the employees buying the factory a number of years back. Employee ownership can provide a certain incentive.
rolleyes.gif

Ok I get it! Savage shoots great! But they all look like tupper wear rifles.I suppose I could put a new stock on them.I want a walking varminter.I've been thinking about a Rem 700 LV-SF or a Sako 75. But those pieces or 850.00 to 1200 bucks.I want it in 22-250.Dang men which Savage would I want?
confused.gif

That tupperware look is exactly why I didn't have any problem using it as a walking stick to ford a knee high river when hauling quarters and back straps on my back. Everything that was not stainless (bolt head, baffle, retaining pins, etc.), I put electroless nickel on. When it snowed or rained, I didn't bother to dry it off knowing that its impervious to the elements and I only spent $299 for it.

My nice expensive rifles are just like my nice expensive cars, in that I only take them out in nice weather.
cool.gif

Ronnie

If I could only get the mag well out.

There are any number of reasons supposedly why Savage rifles are supposed to be more accurate than the competition, on average (individual specimens not withstanding). Savage uses a floating bolt head, which eliminates/reduces one big 'problem' that Remchesters have, making sure the bolt lugs are both bearing on their recesses. Savage uses button rifled barrels instead of hammer forged (Kind of weird looking down a Savage barrel... the tops of the lands look all nasty w/ tool chatter marks from boring the hole, but the bottom of the lands look polished and smooth, almost perfect like a custom barrel). And finally, the barrel nut system allows them to control headspace to a fine degree during assembly. Not sure how much are they put into individual rifles w/ concern to headspace as compared to Remchesters, but from what I've gathered they tend to be a little snugger and closer to minimum.

HTH,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.