SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

Ian M

Sure like to hear some stories about your Savages. Triggers, barrels, stocks - pros and cons.
Have you "Savagers" heard about the new 1/2 pound Accutrigger? How about the new 6.5-284 F-Class rifle, 30 inch barrel? Ejection ports on left side?
Interested to learn about this rifle.
Do you switch barrels regularly, understand this is a unique feature of this rifle action.
Anyone shooting the McMillan A3 stocked factory Tactical?
What aftermarket parts work best - particularly stocks, mounts and triggers?
Which stocks are stiff enough for Harris Bipods? No doubt the laminated heavier stocks are.

I mostly use and shoot all savage rifles. Savages get a bad rap because most people but on cheap barrels and cut cost on every corner. I am truing all my savage custom rifles to remington standards. I am recutting the threads facing the action, reboring the bolt way, truing the lugs, truing the bolt face and then adding a pacific tool and gauge spiral fluted bolt, a thousand's under what the bolt race is reamed to. Making a trued action. Sharp shooter supply makes a nice after market recoil lug. And the accu- triggers can be made very light with a little polishing. I use savages for all my comp guns and never feel under gunned. I also have a 40 x remington and in my world it is no better than a savage with a little work. Savage actions also can be made to be as slick as a remington . I think with savage putting out the new rblp acttions and target shooter oriented calibers that there bad rep with go away with every trophy won. In our local 500 yard ground hog shoots the savage heavy barrel 223 is the gun to beat. Sorry to ramble but I love savages and hate the undeserived bad rap they recieve.

I can only tell about two they are 300 rum mod 116 weather warrior models the stock could be a little better the trigger on mine 12oz. other 15oz. not accu trigger models.
Both will shoot bug holes, have shot sub 2" groups at 635yds
several 1 hole groups at 100yds and 200yds, which of course they have the selectable brake and are a pleasure to shoot.If a high percentage are like these two I would highly recommend them for long range but these are the only ones I have seen in action... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ian,
Savage's out of the box accuracy is better than most. I can't say for sure why. Stocks used to be inletted 2x4s but have greatly improved. The Accutrigger is so good I heard( rumor only) at Shotshow last year big green tried to buy mfg. rights. Floating bolthead gives even contact on the lugs. interchangible boltheads make switchbarrels interesting. Downside to the bolt is more parts in it than in some complete firearms.
Plus....Employee owned company....makes the workforce give a shoot. Just my .02

Ya, what they said goes for me too. I love mine and I have Remingtons, Rugers and Marlins too. Fred at SSS will do ya right. Also, I like the Rifle Basix triggers all to hell for all my guns. SSS also has a great trigger for the cheap, ugly Savages. By the way, my 300win mag, well let's just say, if it's within a 1000 yards and I do my part, it's all over.

doug

i have 7 of them and all shot under 1/2 moa out 0f the box. i have rebarrel 3 and know they shoot 1/4moa. savage is the best bang for your buck out there. when i buy another rifle it will be a savage for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Savage=The small block Chevy of the gun world.Just picked up a walking/calling 223 Stevens($259)that shot great but still got converted to 204 as I had the barrel laying around.The trigger was lightened to 3.5 lbs and aint bad for a factory trigger.I personaly dont like the accutrigger but have a couple of very adjustable aftermarket triggers.
The tuperware conoe paddles are junk as far as useing them with a bipod but stocks are cheap and available in any form you want!Looking forward to the new offerings but have not had the pleasure of useing one YET.
I like the fact that I can swap barrels out,though to be honest I usualy use the barrel that is on at the time and very seldom switch barrels in the field.
The top unit is a long action 6.5-284 that could also be a 25-06 or 30-06
The middle unit is a single shot in 243 that has never had the barrel off as it shoots the 55s too good to mess with.The prairie dogs know it as <font color="red">red mist </font> !!
The bottom unit has a 223AI barrel on it now but gets switched out quit often with a regular 223 or 204 barrels.
Sav.jpg

I sure like the stock on that top one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should have never got rid of it

Ian, if you want you can shoot some of mine the next time you are home. I have have a 17HMR BVSS, Model 40 Single shot 22 hornet, Model 12 LRPV 204 Ruger, Model 12 FV 243, Model 112 6mmAI BVSS and a Model 10MLBSS-II. I also have the perfect platform for you to experience savage for yourself. I have a LRPV action and HS precision stock that I would like to sell. Let me know if you want to meet up some time at the range.

Ya its a great PD stock,you can swap barrels easy and EVERTHING is freefloated.
Tempted to send it to Joel and have him duplicate it and put a hook on it too.Sooner or later I'm gona do a barrel block useing this design.
The bottom stock was one of them cheap laminants from Sportsmansguide,the plywood was so bad I just painted it.The forearm is quite a bit lighter or I would have clipped the top of of it too...and still might if I deside to liten it up for a sporter.They also have barrel Kits for sale.Great for someone just getting into Savages and barrel swapping.

When I started hunting I shunned the cheap look of the savage with it's straight, cheaply knurled bolt knob, crappy tupperware stock, and rediculous barrel nut.

It took me 4 years to pull my head out and shoot a few. My target/varmint/tactical comp/GO TO rifle is now a savage. It SHOOTS, it's simple, it's durable and it's inexpensive. Those are my requirements and the Savage fits the bill.

I have always used Wins. &amp; Rems., but recently scored a great deal on an older Savage 110V. I put an EABCO 12 twist 308 barrel on it (myself), and it is now my most accurate rifle (that is both good, and bad).

In looking over the 110 carefully, I am beginning to think that they really have a lot to offer. Here are a couple of points:
1. Excellant gas shielding (better than Win &amp; Rem)
2. Mechanically secured bolt handle (unlike Rem)
3. Durable bolt stop mechanism (unlike Rem)
4. Durable and easily replaceable extractor (unlike Rem)
5. The bolt lugs have cocking cams (unlike Rem)
6. Easily replaceable bolt head (in case you burn it)
And best of all...
7. You can rebarrel yourself! (no 3 month wait with all of the packing &amp; shipping)

The only downside I have found is the plastic mag. follower, and that the magazine feeds from sheetmetal lips. But these concerns are strictly cosmetic, and the parts actually funtion very well.

6mm Shooter,
I would like to see those rifles some time - little too crisp to meet at a range right now tho. I have hunts in the warm air coming up, have to get out of Sask. any opportunity I get these days.

I plan on experiencing just how well out of the box rifles shoot, will be getting a .308 Win this summer hopefully. Need some pictures and info for some writing I have to do.

All the Savagers
Understand that Shilen is going to offer some excellent Savage ready-to-go barrels shortly - that will be interesting. Shilen barrels shoot!

Really appreciate all the info you guys are sharing - THANKS, and keep it coming. Haven't heard from Jerry Teo yet, hint, hint.

6mm shooter, how do you like your model 40? I have been seriously thinking about getting one. I am particularly interested to hear if you have tried any of the hornady factory loads with the 35 grain v-max's. I have heard some other folks say that the model 40 does not like the lighter, faster bullets very much. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.