SAVAGE Rifles - who uses them

Compared to the factory 'tupperware' stocks, dang near anything is an improvement ;)

I just put in an order for basically the same stock - except in fiberglass - from Stockade Gun Stocks in Chadron, NE. Kevin Rayhill is the one who made the stocks originally for SSS. Now for the 8-10 week wait :(

Monte....Sounds like you have your f-class stuff in order. This will be my first year at nationals.... Karin sent me confirmation of my spot a few weeks ago, so I'm marking the days off on the calender. I only plan on shooting in individual f-t/r, but I'm going to try to make the practise days.

I'm enjoying the heck out of F-Class finally getting a little more wide spread... still not quite as prevalent out here as it sounds like it is back east at some of the big ranges. Last year was my first @ Nat'ls, and it was a hoot. SOA & FCNC back to back was almost too much of a good thing (8 days straight shooting @ Raton). There were 6 Savage rifles on the line out of 18 or 19 in the F/TR category last year... so that's the number we have to beat ;)

i have a savage model model 16 with accutrigger in .243 win. I was just wondering what i could do to turn it into varmint gun. is there heavy barrels and different stocks available in that model. suggestions and advice would be much apprciated.

LongBomb,

Savage rifle's are easy to convert to about any cartridge with a bolt head diameter .532 or smaller. If you go over to savageshooters.com their is alot of info on the savage rifle. Their are lots of aftermarket barrel/stock makers that can help you build about whatever you can dream up. What caliber are you wanting to switch to?

I first started shooting Savage guns when I bought a 210F 12gauge bolt gun. I could shoot better groups with that savage shotgun than I could with a Remington BDL 700 in 300RUM. Both guns were bought completely factory new.

Later I bought a 12FV in 223 and developed a load for a 69gr matchking and varget powder. If the bullet holes weren't touching at 100 yards it was my mistake. I did have an issue with getting empty brass to eject out of that gun and when I called Savage they sent me the new ejector and I fixed it in 5 minutes. I had to sell that 12FV because of a money issue, but I replaced it with a 12BVSS in 223. I never really fired my 12FV past 200 yards, but the 12BVSS hits where I aim on steel out to 600 yards. It'll probably do farther, but I ran out of ammo. Both of those guns are 100% factory stock too.

My latest love is a 110FP I special ordered in 30-06. It is completely factory except I switch the stock with a B&C duramax. I've only broke in this rifle and I did that with junky reloads. I shot out to 300 yards with 220gr prohunters and the bullets hit exactly where I would aim! Those aren't exactly long range bullets and this was with less than 100 rounds through the barrel.

In any event, I am a savage guy for life. I intend to shoot farther than I already have with both of my savage rifles. At this point the bullets have hit exactly where I have aimed no matter how far away the target was.

Savage

I have the Mcmillian Tactical in 308. I was not happy with the gun when I first got it. It turned out yeah it may have the great Mcmilian stock but there is no bedding whatsoever. It is just the action and stock so when you tighten the action screws it just compresses the stock. Shoot 3 shots and it is loose again. DO NOT BUY THIS STOCk unless your gonna spend the money to bed it. Had to take mine and get it pillar bedded to solve this issue.

Sorry I have Remingtons and had to invest over a grand so it would shoot as good as a Savage. Dollar for dollar the Savage varmint rifles cant be beat. If you are shooting a Savage DONT buy a cheap scope. This rifle is ugly as homemade sin and can out shoot you any day or weather condition. Get the best from your Savage and the best for your Savage.
I am sick and tired of shooters crying about there rifles not shooting as good as the think they should, when they have some $10.00 Scope they got at a yard sale installed by some guy down the street you ask them If the rings were lapped du! what is lap your rings?
The Savage Rifles are great! I love- em. if they have a 6.5X284 grabit a.260 grabit the .260 is a 6.5X08. VERY ACCURATE!

savage mod 16

Can some one tell me what other models have the same scope mounts as the 16. I can,t seem to find this one listed. Trying to find a rail mount for it. Got the gun at a deal in 270wsm and decided to have a little fun with it also which stocks would fit this model. What is the differance in the 16 and some of the others. I knoe this was gun and scope combo from
Dicks and was cheap. thanks for the info. Dan

The way I understand it all short actions take the same mounts, 10, 11, 12, 16 and so on. The onlt difference is if the rear part of the receiver is round or flat, basically round if it's fairly new and flat if it's getting a little older. I use dednutz scope mounts on my savages but I may make the switch so I can start using a 20 MOA base.

The way I understand it all short actions take the same mounts, 10, 11, 12, 16 and so on. The onlt difference is if the rear part of the receiver is round or flat, basically round if it's fairly new and flat if it's getting a little older. I use dednutz scope mounts on my savages but I may make the switch so I can start using a 20 MOA base.

Look into the Burris Signature rings with the inserts. That might give you the elevation you need without using an expensive base and having to lap the rings.

I must have pushed the wrong button. My post vanished.

I had a Savage 110 in .243 about 22 years ago. No complains with it. It did seem like a cheep gun. It shot just fine. It was sort of blocky and heavy, sort of like packing around one of them bolt action .410 shotguns. I killed 9 deer and an untold number of ground hogs with it. I finally sold it. No real complains with it though.

Mrs Santa brought me a Savage 11FCNS in .270 wsm with a 3x9 Nikon scope this past Christmas. What a change Savage has made over the years. It's a beautiful gun. With the Accutrigger, you just can't beat it. It does not have that blocky feeling at all. It has a great feel to it. It has a very nice recoil pad on it too. It really surprised me with my first shot. It kicked about like a .243. Not much to it at all. I'm looking forward to a long and lasting relationship with this new rifle.

If you get one, you'll never be sorry.

I see that this thread has rolled up again so I thought I might as well chime in.
I built a Sav 10 up awhile back as a bench gun using a left hand action but set up with a right hand bolt. Worked well on the bench for staying on the gun while loading from the left.

I've put Mc Millan stocks[HTG's] on a few and have one of the Stockade 'tacticals' on my 260. Excellent for the bucks.

I've put the most time behind my 30-06 26"factory brl in a McM HTG stock with the SSS lug and bolt handle.....man does it shoot!
Was busting some clay pigeons with a buddy of mine one day at 600-700 yds when a curious yote stuck just his head out at 685 yds[lasered after the fact] right next to where we were shooting.....big mistake...he got a 190 smk just under his eye!

Presently working with a 300 RUM [factory barrel] that runs the Nosler 125's out at 3800....
good FLAT yote medicine. This is the first Accutrigger that I've messed with and it seems pretty good , but I haven't had any problems tuning the old styles down to some good feels.

Any way I look at them...SAVAGES FLAT GET IT DONE !!

Wes in AZ

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts