Savage Rifle build critique requested (balance)

Doc7

Hello all,

I hunt whitetail deer out of a tree stand and intend this rifle to be used for that purpose as well as shooting at the rifle range, unfortunately only 100-200 yard shots usually. For hunting shots are much more likely to be under 100.

The rifle will be 7mm-08 or similar cartridge, using Savage 11 action with DBM. I think want it to weigh 9 lbs for recoil mitigation of this light kicking cartridge, to make range trips even more enjoyable and because it won't be lugged around on a hunt.

I want to use a laminate Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock which weighs 2.8 lb. With my Vortex 3-9x40 scope and DNZ rings, I am in for about 6 lbs on the stock, action, and scope.

To reach 9 Lbs, it appears a PacNor #1 Sporter contour, 22" , 3-groove will be the proper barrel. However, I am wondering if you all think that this will balance ok? I am unsure if this will result in a whippy seeming rifle due to the weight in the rear.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi Doc............It sounds like you are set on your package, so I will just comment on the balance question. Since you are only shooting a max of 200 yards, it is probably a non issue as it pertains to accuracy. If the rifle is properly smithed, etc., it will probably shoot just fine for your purposes. Repeat shots might tend to walk with barrel heating, which is usually the case with light barrels, but again, probably not a big issue...........Rich
p.s. if you did want to modify your pkg. a little, you could go for a lighter weight stock and a heavier barrel but you would have a little more expense.

The savage DBM could be changed to a center feed blind mag reducing weight and would probably make it an easy DIY bedding job which could allow for at least a magnum contour barrel. Add the boyd feather light stock and beef up the barrel a little more. If this is going to double as a range gun I would certainly look into a heavier barrel. Your magazine space will be a waste when your sporter barrel looks like a wet noodle after a few consecutive shots.

As for balance, I have a Mcm htg edge (blind mag/adl) on a savage LA w/ a 24" CBI light varmint barrel its a tad front heavy but a non issue really, the CBI heavy sporter will move a little weight towards the shooter. I think the balance of your rifle will not be an issue esp w/ a wood stock (vs ultralight carbon etc...). My gun is capable of about 1/4".

Off the top of my head I think my rifle weighs in at 9.6# scoped w/ a 18oz scope.

So maybe a Pacnor #3 sporter barrel , shorter shank? I am not using a Featherlight stock but I can and will convert to a Blind Mag to save some weight.

I took apart the rifle into most of its constituent parts today.

I believe that replacing the Accustock with a Boyds Laminate will cause a net gain of half a pound if I couple that change with a conversion to blind mag (hence dropping 4.4 oz by losing the bottom metal).

A custom #3 contour from Pac-Nor that has a 2" shank will be just about 3 lbs, giving me a final rifle weight of 9 lbs which was my goal.

What do you think of this?

22227132819_b81e8dfc8f.jpg

Sounds good. I don't know if you've covered this part but I would surely upgrade the lug and nut.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.