Rifle Balance

Jerry D

I currently have a compact rifle and it balances just in front of the front (1/8inch) of front action screw.

It is an
ag privateer stock
20" Rem sporter contour barrel
Terminus Apollo lite
Hawkins hunter bottom metal
Razor 3-15x42 lht.

I'm considering another build and I'm seeking some balancing advice.

Considering the ag alpine hunter stock on this one.
My question. Im considering a #5 benchmark at 23" long. It's going to add roughly 12-14oz to the barrel weight over my previous build.

To offset this I thought I'd go with the Zeus which is 10oz heavier.

I feel the above will work out. But what If I go with a rem varmint/sendero contour. Where do I add more weight to balance?

Are rifles with these heavier barrels typically front heavy? I know an adjustable comb adds rear weight but in the ag stocks. It's not really needed. Do some go with a heavier fill in the butt section? Perhaps one of the 30oz scopes!

It it to my advantage to have more weight in the front?

Im considering a #5 benchmark at 23" long. It's going to add roughly 12-14oz to the barrel weight over my previous build.
This contour is basically a heavy skinny looking barrel. The weight will mostly by in the chamber end.

I feel the above will work out. But what If I go with a rem varmint/sendero contour. Where do I add more weight to balance?
This contour has a shorter shank, but a larger muzzle diameter. That moves it's balance point forward.

If it were me, I would discuss with your smith how to add weight as close to the butt pad as possible.

Yes, heavy barrel rifles are front heavy. For "rested" setups with a good front bag like PRS style, this is good for stability. For skelatal supported positions, I like my balance point at or just behind the front screw.

I build my hunting guns to balance at the front screw. It's where they carry best and it gives a lighter feel to a heavier gun in my opinion. I use 2 part epoxy and lead shot or, depending on the stock material, a bit of bondo tigerhair to add the weight right behind the buttpad. Dont use random stuff in there if you ever want to take it on a plane trip.