Shorty Hunting Rifle Build - Advice Requested...

mkollman74

I'm looking to put together a shorty hunting rifle that I can be confident with out to ~800 yds on steel with a more realistic field use of ~600 yds. By shorty I mean 16-20 inches. Rifle will be shot suppressed most of the time. I am open to all experience-driven suggestions. Right now, I am looking at the Sherman short magnums. Action will be an ARC Mausingfield (not that that is particularly definitive of the cartridge selection). What sayeth the LRH gurus?

Last edited:
I'm looking to put together a shorty hunting rifle that I can be confident with out to ~800 yds on steel with a more realistic field use of ~600 yds. By shorty I mean 16-20 inches. Rifle will be shot suppressed most of the time. I am open to all experience-driven suggestions. Right now, I am look at the Sherman short magnums. Action will be an ARC Mausingfield (not that that is particularly definitive of the cartridge selection). What sayeth the LRH gurus?
I'm new here, and definitely not a guru, but my newest rifle actually seems to be along those lines. It's a 284 Winchester in a Mauser 98 action. Not exactly the latest and greatest, but then I've never needed to shoot past 400 yards in my first 48 hunting seasons. Just might try a few cross-canyon stands next deer and elk seasons.

What are you going to hunt with this? Might be great in a 6.5ss with the 20" barrel with 130-140. Also 270 ss with a 150 might be a great option too. Maybe give Ritch a call and see what he would recommend in that barrel length.

I think lance is running a 20 in 6.5ss with the 140 hybrids or the 156's and getting great results. I think your on the money and build away.

I'd like to do something in a16in barrel, 140gr(264, 270, 284, doesn't matter) at or close to 3000fps and can put a suppressor on it at that length. So far I've come up with nothing.

If you just want it for steel out to 800, no need to go with a big cased short mag like a Sherman Short. You can go with a 6CM, 6GT, 6XC, 6x47L, etc. Run a 105 @ 2700-2800 and enjoy it.

But, if you want it for hunting out to 800 too, thenthe extra HP of an SS will really help. I am shooting a 20" 6.5SS currently, and loving it. I have 3 loads worked up, as bsnyder mentioned. A light 130 TMK/TGK @ 3055fps for to be used for varmints/steel but doubles for pronghorn/deer if needed. 140 Hyb @ 3035fps which is wicked for pronghorn/deer. 156 Elite at 2916fps, which is amazing on really long steel and deer+ sized game. The awesome thing....all 3 are within 1/2" vertical at 100 yards, and are all dead on horizontal. So I just adjust my zero yardage for each. 130 is a 190 yard zero, 140 is a 200 yard zero, 156 is a 175 yard zero.

I am actually headed out this morning to go shoot some steel, from 651 to 1400 with it.

I'd like to do something in a16in barrel, 140gr(264, 270, 284, doesn't matter) at or close to 3000fps and can put a suppressor on it at that length. So far I've come up with nothing.
Tough requirements to reach 3000fps with a 16" 2900-2950 is more realistic. It might be possible running a 6.5SS or 6.5SAUM hot. Maybe a 6.5Max or 6.5 Mega. I run my 20" w. 140s at 3035fps, but that is not a max load. I can get close to 3100, but brass doesn't last more than 3 firings. But even at 2900, a 140 is no slouch. Or you MIGHT get a 156 to 2750-2800. Run those numbers, and you might be impressed.

Have a 6.5 Rem Mag in factory 20" I bought in 67 that shoots 120 ttsx at 3K plus that has put everything I pointed it at in the dirt. Of course didn't have great selection of bullets first 45yrs, but man has it made ups for that last 10yrs. Gonna rebarrel with a 8 twist soon to allow some heavier pills.....The handiest tool in the chest............

Tough requirements to reach 3000fps with a 16" 2900-2950 is more realistic. It might be possible running a 6.5SS or 6.5SAUM hot. Maybe a 6.5Max or 6.5 Mega. I run my 20" w. 140s at 3035fps, but that is not a max load. I can get close to 3100, but brass doesn't last more than 3 firings. But even at 2900, a 140 is no slouch. Or you MIGHT get a 156 to 2750-2800. Run those numbers, and you might be impressed.
Oh there's plenty of stuff that will shoot a 140 at 2900-3000 out of a 16" barrel. Just nothing I know of that you can also suppress out of that short of a barrel. The SS.... maybe. The Max or anything else 270wsm etc can't.

I'm looking to put together a shorty hunting rifle that I can be confident with out to ~800 yds on steel with a more realistic field use of ~600 yds. By shorty I mean 16-20 inches. Rifle will be shot suppressed most of the time. I am open to all experience-driven suggestions. Right now, I am look at the Sherman short magnums. Action will be an ARC Mausingfield (not that that is particularly definitive of the cartridge selection). What sayeth the LRH gurus?
I think more info would be helpful in making a decision on this. What type of game ? What bullet weight are you looking at ? Are you building a shorty or an ultralight shorty ? These are some questions I would ask to help narrow down your decision.

I would say if you need the horsepower in a compact case, the Sherman's are the way to go, the SS or maybe even the SST would be a good choice as short mags seem to run nicely out of shorter barrels. With the 3000 FPS goal in mind , I think you could achieve this with a 6.5 SS shooting 120-130 class. I shot a 21" 6.5 wsm that launched the Barnes 127 LRX to 3300 FPS on the hot side of things. 6.5 would probably give you the most versatility, it's not my personal choice for elk but plenty of folks are killing elk with 6.5cm and 6.5 PRC. Lots of interesting 25 cal builds as well and might achieve that velocity goal.

Oh there's plenty of stuff that will shoot a 140 at 2900-3000 out of a 16" barrel. Just nothing I know of that you can also suppress out of that short of a barrel. The SS.... maybe. The Max or anything else 270wsm etc can't.
Thunderbeast Ultra 9, Ultra 7, or Dominus can all handle a 16" 6.5SAUM, so the 6.5SS or 6.5Max will be fine too.

Ultra 9 and Ultra 7
Screenshot_20211226-122425_Chrome.jpg

Dominus
Screenshot_20211226-122205_Chrome.jpg

I think more info would be helpful in making a decision on this. What type of game ? What bullet weight are you looking at ? Are you building a shorty or an ultralight shorty ? These are some questions I would ask to help narrow down your decision.

I would say if you need the horsepower in a compact case, the Sherman's are the way to go, the SS or maybe even the SST would be a good choice as short mags seem to run nicely out of shorter barrels. With the 3000 FPS goal in mind , I think you could achieve this with a 6.5 SS shooting 120-130 class. I shot a 21" 6.5 wsm that launched the Barnes 127 LRX to 3300 FPS on the hot side of things. 6.5 would probably give you the most versatility, it's not my personal choice for elk but plenty of folks are killing elk with 6.5cm and 6.5 PRC. Lots of interesting 25 cal builds as well and might achieve that velocity goal.
The OP didn't have the 3000fps. I kinda jacked his thread.

I built a 6.5 creed for a lighter hunting rifle, 16" and I am running 130 RDF's at 2600. I have shot this on steel out to 1100 and it is a pleasure to shoot and carry. I have taken multiple hogs with it the longest being 875 and everything has dropped in its tracks. For deer I would load some hammers up and not have a problem hunting at the ranges you are looking at. If you want speed you are going to have to up the horsepower and or go lighter with your bullet's.

Thanks fellas for the replies. I appreciate the requests for additional info. I'm looking to shoot heavy for caliber projectiles from this rig, and it will be predominately a hunting rifle. Hopefully around 9 lbs or so all in. I'll probably go with a KRG X-ray unless I need to try to shave more weight. I'll need to keep my loads mag length. I really like the 6.5s and 7s and have some of those already. Game will be mostly deer, elk, caribou, black bear. If 6.5 I'd like the option of shooting the 156 EOLs, if 7 I'd like the option run the 195 EOLs. I'd do the math and see which weight/velocity works best. Not opposed to a 30cal although I haven't owned one for years. I guess in part I'm wondering what others have found to do the trick from a shorter barrel? Should I consider a 338? I know some say that when you go short, moving up in caliber is a smart move, but I also want to be able to spot my shots through the scope from awkward hunting positions, so that has me thinking that the smallest caliber I can get away with shooting heavy for caliber bullets might be the path...