Savage question..

adiredneck

Other than the 17HMR that I own, I have never shot, or even handled a centerfire Savage.

Does the bolt lock on Savage rifles when the safety is on? I have had the bolt on my Marlin Xl7 catch on my clothes while using the sling in dense woods. On a few occasions, the bolt has dropped and I have lost a round.

Just curious...

Thanks.

Yes the bolt locks, savages must be on fire or in between fire and safe to cycle the bolt.

I have 3 models of savage and all of mine have a 3 position safety it has fire then safety on but the bolt still opens then it has safety on bolt locked hope this answers your question

The older 2 position, only locks the trigger. Bolt will still open.

You could always close the bolt on an empty chamber then dry-fire. Since Savages usually have a heavy bolt lift, it would be pretty tough to have something open it.

Thanks. A friend of a friend has an older model 110 for sale in .270 win for $250.00. I was thinking it would be a good base to do a switch barrel on.

How about the Stevens 200? If I bought a brand new one, would the bolt lock, or is it based on an older Savage model that does not lock.

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to do a Stevens 200 build but then I held one of the older model 10 predator in snow camo the other day at a small gun shop and I really liked it.

I have since then discovered the new Savage 10 Predator Max 1 with the accu stock. I got a price of $759.00 for one yesterday. I am going to get this one in .223 Rem. I am going to see how much they will give me for my 7600 Remington Pump in .35 Whelen on a trade.

I figured this gun should be a fun target practice gun with the medium contour barrel, but not too heavy to take in the woods with me for a walk. This gun should be everything I want without having to build a custom gun from the Stevens. (I still might do that too
icon12.gif
).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.