Savage camo predator rifles

I own a Savage Model 93 in 17HMR. I bought it customized with a Harris bipod and a Bushnell 3200 scope. I love it so far, but am going to swap the scope for a Leupold. Other than that, it's a tack driver. I've tested it with four different factory loads (Remington, Hornady, Speer & Federal). So far, it eats the Remington and Hornady the best. I've come to realize that Savages are great bargains for that they are intended - out of the box very accurate rifles, and the next 17HMR I buy will also be a Savage, the BTVS model.

Not to be a thread hijacker, but since we're on the topic of Savage, I just checked their Website for the target/competition rifles I knew they were selling, but can't find them. What happened? Are they discontinued?

OneShot,
I am not trying to insult you in anyway but you are trying to compare a cheap semi-auto rimfire to a quality bolt action rifle. I don't know anybody who owns your rifle so that tells me something. Maybe you should have done your homework. Have you tried to contact Savage about your problem, if you buy a defective product and do nothing to try to remedy the situation who's fault is it really? Sounds like you got a lemon. You are also comparing apples and oranges.....comparing their bottom line product and their top of the line product. Does Savage make the best rifles out there.....NO! Are they accurate.....Hell yeah, you would be doing good to find a rifle twice as expensive that will shoot with the average Savage bolt rifle. I know dozens of people that own one or more Savage bolt rifles and are more then satisfied with them, myself included.

faith,
If you like the rifle get it I don't think you will be disappointed.

i agree savage makes one of the best shooting factory rifle out there and at a great price. you can also rebuild it your self. I have a safe full of savage rifles and not one of them shoot over .5 at 100. by far the best bang for buck. If you like it get it. If it was me, i would buy a differant rifle from savage and have it filmed dipped my self.

i have two savage bolt actions...a .22-250 Predator and a .308 Tiger Mako. Both are absolute tack drivers. The Predator shoots better than any gun I've owed and shoots with or better than some customs and guns with alot of work that friends own. The camo is a great touch and the accu-trigger is amazing. These two rifles have made me a believer in Savage!!

My out of the box Savage Predator load testing 223. 3/4 in circles at 100 yds. Liked the Amax better than Ballistic Tips

223testgroup.jpg

cool, I got one

and thought I'd try the 25.5 H335 w/ 50g bullet loads. The action to stock fit feels real loose/sloppy - think I will try to bed it. If I can't, I'll get a Stockade stock. I did reenforce/stiffen the forend with a couple rods and a bunch of epoxy - seems to help with the bipod shooting, which is mostly what I do.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.