Savage camo predator rifles

faith

I'm interested in one of these rifles in .223. Can anyone tell me the twist rate and if they will stabilize 65 or 75 gr. bullets ? Do they shoot well and is the stock any good for a calling, hiking around, varmint plinker ? thanks

Not a Savage fan

I have heard of a few top of the line savages, but from my experience they jam and are not a great quality rifle. I have a savage .22 and it looks nice, but jams nearly every other bullet, even when using high quality. I am selling it and I will never own another savage, no matter how highly reccomended it comes.:mad:
Good luck to you, I hope you can afford to use the best quality bullets you can find.

I have a Savage VLP with 1/9 twist. I think the Predator has the same 1/9. 75 grain bullets may or may not stabilize, some people push them pretty hard and they are stable. All other lighter bullets shoot great. My gun really likes Sierra 60 g Varminters, < 1/2 in with almost every load I've tried, some loads shoot <3/8 all day.

OneShot,
I am not trying to insult you in anyway but you are trying to compare a cheap semi-auto rimfire to a quality bolt action rifle. I don't know anybody who owns your rifle so that tells me something. Maybe you should have done your homework. Have you tried to contact Savage about your problem, if you buy a defective product and do nothing to try to remedy the situation who's fault is it really? Sounds like you got a lemon. You are also comparing apples and oranges.....comparing their bottom line product and their top of the line product. Does Savage make the best rifles out there.....NO! Are they accurate.....Hell yeah, you would be doing good to find a rifle twice as expensive that will shoot with the average Savage bolt rifle. I know dozens of people that own one or more Savage bolt rifles and are more then satisfied with them, myself included.

faith,
If you like the rifle get it I don't think you will be disappointed.

predator

I would much rather have a stainless rifle than a camo rifle, but you can camo a ss rifle. I will not buy blued guns. The savage factory stocks are not great espically for bipod use, the forends flex way to much. Savage is not perfect but very good rifles for the money and top notch accuracy for a factory gun. being able to switch barrels or set the headspace to you dies is also nice.

I don't know if this helps but I have one in a 22-250 and it shoots very well. I have put 4 different factory loads through it and all 4 did .5 to .75 before the barrel break in.

Pretty much any savage rifle you buy will shot **** good. If for some reason you get one that wont hold groups then send her back to the factory and they will fix the prob. good customer service. Know remember it may not like the ammo you want to shoot in it but most all of them will shoot something very well. Comparing feeding problems in a automatic to a bolt action isnt really a far comparison and if said auto is having problems, send her back and they will fix it. Everyone is entitled to a lemon once in a while.

I would be more than willing to bet you buy the gun and you will be very very happy with it. I believe it is a dip camo pattern so it is tuff but can chip off with time but with some care it wont be a prob.

Bottom line is Savage rifles shoot good, if you disagree try a couple out and then report. they aint pretty and the synthetic stocks a FAR from a mcmillan but they just plain shoot.

steve

To answer your question about the 75 gn. bullets would be iffy. But, the big question is why do you need that heavy of bullet in a .223 anyway? I like the 55 gn. bullets for coyote and prefer 50`s for about everything else. As for Savage rifles I think that they make a real good rifle, and since I`m into wildcating I like the ease with which you can change your own barrels. I built a .22-6mm on a Savage action and expect this to be a real barrel burner, but when it`s shot out I`ll just put another barrel on it.

I have heard of a few top of the line savages, but from my experience they jam and are not a great quality rifle. I have a savage .22 and it looks nice, but jams nearly every other bullet, even when using high quality. I am selling it and I will never own another savage, no matter how highly reccomended it comes.:mad:
Good luck to you, I hope you can afford to use the best quality bullets you can find.

they had a problem with mags and feed problems. check their website they'll send you another free. I have one (22) and have nothing but good to say about it.

My Neighbor has a Savage Predator Hunter in .223 and he is very happy with it. DOn't buy the matching scope though. That was the first thing he replaced.

Lucas

I was smart enough to buy a Savage 17 HMR

I was smart enough to buy a 17 HMR, man can it shoot. It will shoot dimes at 100 yards all day long. In my opinion Savage is one of the most underrated gun manufacturers out there. Its accuracy is dead even with my dad's CZ that cost twice as much.

I have a predator in the 22-250. I got mad when I bought it because it was advertised on the net with a 1 in 9 twist barrel and it actually had a 1 in 12 twist. Customer service told me it was a typo. I worked a deal out with them and they put a 1 in 9" twist barrel on it for me, but the barrel isn't camo. It loves the 75 grain bergers now and I am very happy.

I just bought a Predator in 233 and love it. Had a factory scope (Simmons) and it was 5 in high and 2 left at 100 yds 1st shot out of it. Shot a 3 shot group it has all three almost in the same hole with 50 gr V Max and H-335, perfect cloverleaf. I'm impressed. Loading 60 gr V Max now, I'll see if it shoots those as good, it should

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.