Predator Preparation

tt35

What are/will you guys be doing to prep for this years fur "season"? Shooting, equipment, calling...anything is fair game.

Well it's not coyotes, and it's not fur, but it is predator preparation. We're pretty excited about Idaho's latest proposal on a wolf season. As proposed it should overlap cougar, and bear seasons a bit. Stuff to get done: 1) Foxpro sent in for updates, more calls etc. 2) Get snowmobile in best shape, and get tracks for ATV on the machine. 3) Still waiting on Nosler .338 RUM brass, to finalize loads and get turrets dialed right.
I've got a wolf rifle on order, but it probably won't be ready this season. If you're curious about what a wolf rifle might be, search Wolf rifle or Wild hair on LRH.
I've been to your No Off Season site, and if a couple of youngsters get their hunter safety card this summer, maybe next year we'll check out your squirrel shooting.
Good Luck

Looks like fur prices will be up so I guess I have to start by finding a fur bullet for my 270 WSM, the 110 TTSX is not nice to them but they don't move! I may need to get another rifle like a 22-250 again :D bummer!! Our MT coyotes may be worth skinning and I hate to have to do much sewing, will likely put out a trap line too.

HARPERC: It may not be a coyote but it's definitely a PREDATOR! Good luck on the endeavor. And, yeah, the kids would have a blast shooting sage rats. Might be a good "carrot" to dangle in front of them!

bigngreen: Darn, a reason to buy another rifle! You might get something out of this if you haven't read it already: Fur Loads

TT35, that was a good article on fur loads! I've been down that route, back when fur was good I went through a lot of different bullets to find one that would work good but once fur dropped I kinda went for what ever pounds them into the dirt. It sounds like coyotes may get up closer to the $50 mark which is interesting, after $35 I start skinning trapped dogs but for 50 bucks I'll do some sewing :D

One thing that's happened around hear is every college kid and his dog has a Foxpro and abuses it, so now gotta figure out which way to go, I may actually look at going back to a hand call since no one is doing it anymore, I'll have to see! I use the WildlifeTech caller and it is outstanding but if these guys are running around sounding like a pack of coyotes or jack rabbits educating ever thing in the county so to rack up numbers and pay for more than gas gotta change it up :rolleyes: One of the top guys around here has changed to spot and stalk only!

Man I hope the prices go up. Start hitn up the garage sales for freezers. "the big ones".

Im thinking bout dropping the cash on a Wildlife Tech as well... Have read great things about them. But you always have the :DLip Squeak. Just moved back up North and already making phone calls for more land to hunt.

Anybody used the Sierra 52 gr. HPBT Match on fur? And the results.....

tt35. I will be contacting you for a few things.

Man I hope the prices go up. Start hitn up the garage sales for freezers. "the big ones".

Im thinking bout dropping the cash on a Wildlife Tech as well... Have read great things about them. But you always have the :DLip Squeak. Just moved back up North and already making phone calls for more land to hunt.

Anybody used the Sierra 52 gr. HPBT Match on fur? And the results.....

tt35. I will be contacting you for a few things.

I had good luck with both the Sierra 52 and 53 match bullets on fur. Better than the 55 Ballistic Tip, probably equal to or better than the 55 V-max. Best bullet for me was the 55 Berger MEF (I think they just call it the varmint line now.?) The Berger seemed to give the best kills with the least amount of fur damage, 500-550 yds wasn't a problem so long as I hit vitals.

load and shoot... have a remington sps tactical in 223 and rigged up a yote smokin load that shoots .25 in groups at 100. 23.4 grain h322 and 55grain nosler ballistic. Now that I have the load I will do a lot of shooting and set my turrents on my nikon 6x18 out to 600 yrds. Ive also added a few extras to the coyote set up: egw bolt knob, bell and carlson a1, egw six hole rings, and a new gap paint job that I did myself. In the mean time a lot of Randy Anderson videos are watched at my house :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.