Simple Predator Rifle Ballistics

ACLakey

I have been working on my rifle and loads for a while and have settled on a great all around setup for me. In the past I have used everything from a .243 to a 22hornet for calling with quite a bit of time spent behind a 22-250 shooting 55gr gamekings or 52gr HPBT Match bullets(a lethal and fir friendly setup I might add).

My current setup started out as a Savage 12FV and now has a sport weight barrel cut to 22" and chambered in .223AI. I currently have a 4x12 scope on top but wold be very happy with a straight 6 power as that is where it stays most of the time anyways.

The rifle likes Sierra 52gr BTHP Match bullets in front of 28.2gr of H4895. This combination is shooting a respectable and consistent 3630fps. After some bedding and crown work I can consistently get dime to quarter sized groups with the setup at 100 yards(defiantly Minute of Coyote). I ran the numbers through several ballistic calculators and made a drop chart from filed data after several hundred rounds. My recorded ballistics are as follows.

0" @ 50yd
+1" @ 100yd
+1" @ 150yd
0" @ 200yd
-2" @ 250yd
-5.5" @ 300yd

This trajectory allows for some very simple field adjustments for me in the field. If the coyote looks under 200yd I hold dead on and squeeze. If the coyote looks over 300yd I hold even with the top of the back and squeeze. So far I have been very pleased with the results.

There you have it for what it's worth. A very simple and effective setup that I don't have to over think in the field. Good shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts