savage bolt problems?

savage.270

hello im new to this so bear with me. i have a 270 savage model 111 and the bolt is slopy and works hard yet its brand new. are their any aftermarket ones or mods i can do to make it better? thanks

PT&G makes Savage bolt bodies, no reason you couldn't sleeve the stock one either. You can buy/build a "bolt lift kit" that will help with the stiff operation, it will get better with use too. You could also send it to Sharp Shooter Supply for the full time and true.

Last edited:
thanks. all i could find was bolts for the short action for savage, so i guess im still looking for ideas.

They don't list them on the website but PT&G makes long action bolt bodies, same price as the short ones.

first of all, unlike Remington and Winchester, Savage tends to cut their chambers on the minimum side of the window. So you may try cranking your die down about 1/16th of a turn to see if it makes the bolt easier to use. Also if your doing hand loads you may need to back off a half grain or so. The Savage bolt head is supposed to be a little loose, as it self aligns with the case head. Some folks don't like this, but there's probably three times that, that do like it. I would not buy an aftermarket bolt for your Savage as it just brings in another bunch of problems.
gary

first of all, unlike Remington and Winchester, Savage tends to cut their chambers on the minimum side of the window. So you may try cranking your die down about 1/16th of a turn to see if it makes the bolt easier to use. Also if your doing hand loads you may need to back off a half grain or so. The Savage bolt head is supposed to be a little loose, as it self aligns with the case head. Some folks don't like this, but there's probably three times that, that do like it. I would not buy an aftermarket bolt for your Savage as it just brings in another bunch of problems.
gary

What problems have you seen with the bolt bodies? I've got an action I'm planning on putting one in.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.