Savage 6.5 creedmoor advice needed

razakain

Hello all,
I am really itching for a long range target/hunting rifle. Wild hogs and whitetail will be the largest game I take with it. I want the rifle to be in the 8.5 to 9 pound range without optics and unloaded. After a lot of research, and given my constrained budget, I have settled on two options.
First, special order a Savage 10 FCP HS Precision in 6.5 creedmoor with a 24" fluted barrel. Weight should be right at 9 lbs. but the price is significant above the .308. I would put on a 0MOA scope rail.
Second, getting the Savage 10T from Cabelas. It appears to be the same barrel, action, etc. for only $600.00, plus it comes with an 0MOA scope rail, which I would have to put on the special order. I would then have to buy a 6.5 fluted barrel and I would probably put it in a Manners MCS-EH1 stock, which should shave another 12 ounces or so of weight. I believe I could buy a 1:8 24" barrel fluted and installed for less than $450.00 (not counting shipping). I am allowing $650 for the stock, installed, which gets me up to the MSRP of the special order option 1.
Third, get a Predator Hunter Max 1 in 6.5 with the already fluted barrel, add the scope rail and swap out the stock to the Manners EH1. That would be about $850.00 for the rifle and another $650.00 for the stock, with a rifle weight of approximately 8 pounds.
So, on top of any obvious problems I am missing, which you should please point out, what is your advice? I am not interested in a used rifle and cannot afford a custom rifle, so please bear that in mind. Thank you all. I am still a novice.

Last edited:
If these are the only options you are considering I would go with option 3 and put the manners stock on hold until after I shot the rifle as is...The reason I say that is you might invest a lot of money into the manners stock and not have any accuracy increase at all. I have built a lot of Savage rifles and found this to be true more often than not.

Having said that I personally would find an Accutrigger Savage action for sale online, buy a 26" 1-8 Twist CBI 6.5 Creedmoor barrel in heavy hunter contour, Put an EGW rail on top and a Boyds Varmint Hunter laminate stock on the bottom.

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at the options, pricing the accessories and weighing it all. I am leaning towards option 3 as a platform to build on for the future. I have heard some people say the stock on the Predator looks pretty cheap and has a very narrow stock, but I know I can make it work if the rifle is inherently accurate. I have heard good things about Savage accuracy and if it is sub-MOA as is, it can stay for a while. I do like that EH1 but I can put that much more money to a good scope. Thanks for all the help.

To start, buy the rifle with the longest barrel available, unless you plan to replace it right away. The Creedmoor likes a long pipe. I have a 25.5 inch varmint weight from ER Shaw, fluted and a JP brake on a ruger action. Shoots great, ran about 10 inches (5 shot group) at 1175 yards. Boyds stocks are not lightweights, but they are solid and lower cost. They do take some fitting, but that is part of pillar bedding anyway. For my Savages, I toss the factory trigger in favor of RifleBasix SAV2, it is excellent and fully adjustable to your preference. If you intend shooting long range, put a 20moa rail on, so you are working near the optical/mechanical center of your scope out where little things count the most.

The 12VLP is nice but I want to avoid a wood stock, which I should have mentioned in my original post. I also want the rifle's weight to be closer to 8.5 instead of 10. It just kills me to beat up a wood stock. I don't treat my rifles roughly but I find myself being too careful with my wooden-stocked rifles. I have an older 7mm STW Remington Sendero SF that I bought new in 98. I may have to get rid of it to support his build but it is the only other synthetic rifle I ever really liked.

Just build one yourself. It isn't hard to do. Get a hold of the action you want, buy an aftermarket tube, go gauge for head spacing, 1/4" recoil lug, action wrench, barrel nut wrench, and stock of your choice. Take you about 30mins to put it together and cost is totally on you as to what you want to spend. Look at the classifieds here and accurate shooter.com. Always barrels for good prices finished and chambered blanks for sale. Do it right and you could build one for under $1500. Do it with patience and time and probably build one for under $1k.

That's one thing I like about the Savage platform and I have more patience than money, so I think that is the best way to go. I have been trying to round up a good Savage 10 Action. Anyone know if there actions on the cheapest model 10s differ from the actions on the higher model 10s? Can I find a good deal on a model 10 and build a consistent long range gun around that action? Thanks for all the help. The clarity and guidance in these forums are unlike any other forum I have ever been a member of.

I'm a big savage fan, and I fully understand the budget thing. I have the Predator Hunter Max 1 in 260 rem. LOVE IT!!!!!! Just took it to Texas. It did a great job on hogs. Used the 140gr SST. With my handloads I have no problem getting .75 groups. .5 or sometimes even better when I'm doing my part. Sunday afternoon I put 8 rounds into a half inch group at hundred yards. You don't have to go custom to have an accurate rifle. Just make sure you get a good scope.

Hey Johnnie, that's great to hear! I was planning on either a Vortex HS-T or a NF SHV. That combination will definitely be more capable than I am, but I am working on that.

I'm suse you'll be happy with either of your choices. A good scope really dose make a difference. I got a great deal on a Trijicon TR23 5X20 so that's what I went with. I like having a lighted reticle for low light shots. I did put a 20 MOA rail on it though. I also added a Karsten cheek piece, which is really nice, and a Harris bipod. It's not a $4,500 custom rifle, but I really don't know what one of those feels like any way. But it shoots great, and it dose a great job of killing game. That's all I care about. Let us know what you come up with.

That's one thing I like about the Savage platform and I have more patience than money, so I think that is the best way to go. I have been trying to round up a good Savage 10 Action. Anyone know if there actions on the cheapest model 10s differ from the actions on the higher model 10s? Can I find a good deal on a model 10 and build a consistent long range gun around that action? Thanks for all the help. The clarity and guidance in these forums are unlike any other forum I have ever been a member of.
There isn't any difference between actions other than hole spacing. The older model savage short action with an internal mag has a spacing of 4.27" and is a stagger feed. The new models with external mags and internal mags are center feed and have a hole spacing of 4.40". So that is the one thing you have to remember when purchasing the rifle or action for your new stock. All model 10's will have the same action. Another option would be a Stevens action which is the same hole spacing and dimensions. I would suggest a trigger for the Stevens should you decide to go that route.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.