Savage 12 FV vs. Tikka T3 Lite 308

I have a Savage 12FV, and could not be any more pleased. Mine is factory stock except I bedded the action and opened the forend up some. It shoots less than half MOA with 110gr V-Maxes or 168gr Berger VLDs put to 600yards. I have not found a bullet yet that shoots worse than .75MOA. I should have a Stockade stock for it by the end of October.

I'm sold on the Savages for factory guns. Unless I was having a custom built by a good gunsmith then I would pick the Savage over any other.

My next rifle is going to be a Savage I build. Stockade stock, Target action, barrel/caliber to be determined.

Both Savages and Tikkas have good reputations for being accurate. I like the smooth action on the Tikka better. I also like Tikka's trigger's better.

However, the savage you list has a heavier barrel. So if you are shooting a lot in a short time, the savage won't heat up as fast and therefore last longer. If you where to move up to the Tikka T3 varmint to get a heavier barrel you'd have to pay 200-300 more. Plus, Savages are made in the US.

I have the Tikka .308 varmint and love it. It shoots reeeeealaaallllly well with the right load.

Probably Mule deer will be the largest thing I would probably hunt. All my buddies want me to get a 30-06 instead of the .308. Spot and stalk hunting mostly.

I have a Tikka and love it but I also have a 112 BVSS Savage that I prefer to shoot long ranges with. It's heavier which makes it more stable for me. The Tikka is extremely light great pack gun not a long range shooter.

The Tikka is extremely light great pack gun not a long range shooter.

I killed a caribou at 850 yds with my Tikka T3 last year. Depends on how one defines long range.

This season I set a target up at my hunting camp at 965 yds and took one shot. Hit within 5" of the point of aim. Again, depends on the definition of "long range shooter".

They're accurate for the first two shots. At more than three shots my T3's groups will open up due to their thin barrels heating up. But every thin-tubed barrel will do the same thing to my knowledge.

Never owned a Savage so I can't comment or compare. Own two Tikka T3s and have friends who own them also. They're all shooters with the right reloads. They've got the best out of the box trigger I've found in a plain-Jane factory rifle. The action is smooth as silk. And they're light if you're looking for a carry/packing rifle.

Last edited:
I have a t3 lite 300wsm and a 12lfv 22-250. My savage is back at the factory getting checked out because it wouildn't shoot better than 1.5 at 100. My tikka will shoot sub .5" at 100. The Tikka's trigger is hands down better! The stocks are better, the barrel is smoother, the action is smoother.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.