Savage 110 Reliable? Weaknesses?

After seeing all the other replies to this post im glad as the second person to reply to this that 99% of you agree with me to some point. They are great guns. Any manufacture can have a gun go wrong at some point. New out of the box or used. So as many have said shoot it. Pet it. Put it in the living room and admire it. But remember its a tool and the more you use it the more of them you will want!! Just leave the good deals on them to me!!

Long time Savage fan. My favorite hunting rifle...243AI...is built on a Savage action.

I won't be building another on a Savage.

The bolt head flexibility is nice, and I don't care about the barrel nut. The trigger and stock limitations are real. I have encountered more timing issues with Savages than Remingtons or Remington clones, and the ONLY guy who works on Savages is a terrible, unreliable businessman.

I have switched over to Remington or Remington clone donors, enough good "Remage" barrels available now.

Buying a factory rifle to use as-is....if Savage had what I wanted, I'd buy it.

I own 2 Savages. No doubt accuracy for cost is awesome. But...A 204 Ruger I think 12 FV in a beautiful laminate stock. Never ejected nor fed from box mag well, but mostly range toy I put a single round follower in so never tried to figure out the issue, I've had it over 10 years. Last year bought a Desert Tactical 110 in 6.5 CM. About 50% of the time empty brass comes loose from the extractor before ejected and about 70% of the time the bolt goes over the top of the top round in the magazine jamming up the gun. Maybe 150 rounds of factory ammo fired from new. I've contacted Savage on this one but no feedback yet.

Just my sample of 2.

JB
I have that same rifle (Desert Tactical) and it has had zero issues. Shoots great and feeds well. Sor tr y your experience isnt similar.

After seeing all the other replies to this post im glad as the second person to reply to this that 99% of you agree with me to some point. They are great guns. Any manufacture can have a gun go wrong at some point. New out of the box or used. So as many have said shoot it. Pet it. Put it in the living room and admire it. But remember its a tool and the more you use it the more of them you will want!! Just leave the good deals on them to me!!
Agreed! This is why "I" never ask what rifle to buy or build.

On Savage's most everyone thats weighed in speaking from experience seem to say the same basic thing..........surprisingly accurate, easy to work on or maintain, and reliable. You can do your own bolt work (ejector and extractor springs/bolt faces) bbl swaps, headspacing, trigger replacement or spring work) If you have one or more enjoy them :).....

On Savage's most everyone thats weighed in speaking from experience seem to say the same basic thing..........surprisingly accurate, easy to work on or maintain, and reliable. You can do your own bolt work (ejector and extractor springs/bolt faces) bbl swaps, headspacing, trigger replacement or spring work) If you have one or more enjoy them :).....
Shhh! :)

If you have extractor problems, order a new one and then use the over sized ball bearing trick.
I must be the only one that absolutely hates the new blind box straight feed magazine. Trying to load a scoped rig is nothing less than a challenge if you have large hands.
Then, single loading if it gets left or right of the feed lips it jams.
I have several stagger feeds, throw a cartridge in and it eats it. I always have my eyes open for stagger feed SS rigs, trigger makes no difference to me, easily fixable.