Savage 110 300WM - What should I do?? Reloading company recommendations?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I am finding myself feeling slightly discouraged about my current rifle/ammo situation...

Due to the virus and several other variables, I haven't been able to get the supplies to start reloading on my own. I am curious if anyone has a recommendation for a company that could do load development for my rifle? Additionally, what price should I be expecting for a service like this?

Additionally, I am finding that the sporter contour barrel on my rifle is not conducive for target practice, so am curious if purchasing a thicker contoured barrel would be in my best interest? If so, brand recommendations? Additionally, I assume if I go to a thicker barrel, a different stock will be in order?

Thank you!

If you're not dedicated to the 300 then the 7mm rem mag has more access to components, at least in my area and based on what I see in online shelves. Not a ton of options, but more I think. You'd still be on your own for explosive components but it sure seems like I see a lot more dies, brass and projectiles for the 7 remington right now. Much of it is used but that can be a positive thing. I just got done filtering through a few sites that have a small but real selection of bullets, especially 150 grains and up. Changing to a 7 with its lower recoil in a sporter barrel would lessen the pain of target shooting a little also, and make that stock less of a burden in terms of accuracy. On top of that there are always 7 mag takeoff barrels around if you just want to try it for giggles. If you felt real crazy you could go to a 7 wsm. I've seen actual AMMO for that occasionally. Might not feed without work but it'd go bang. Heck there's 25 caliber bullets around, want a 257 weatherby? I can still buy 26 and occasionally 28 Nosler ammo around here, you could try that. You'd still want to plan on changing the stock as soon as you can, the stock is a weak link in fit, recoil, and accuracy for the higher recoiling savages. Even a creedmoor will move around in the plastic stock. Unless its an accustock, but I really bet that it's not. I love my accustock but finding one for a long action is tough from what I see and it doesn't do anything for recoil in terms of mass or geometry.

If you do want a 300 I can respect that, but there is less competition for 7mm supplies right now. Just a thought. Not finding bullets on top of everything else would just make me scream.

Upgrading/upsizing the barrel on a savage is fun, I just did it myself. If you decide to do that in any caliber there are some great threads on here discussing brands of prefits. Lots of great ones out there. My new one is from Crown Ridge. They only stock a few profiles but Anthony is super helpful and you'll get a barrel in 6-12 days, not weeks. Best thing about the Savage is you can upgrade in steps, don't feel bad about whichever thing you do first.

If you're not dedicated to the 300 then the 7mm rem mag has more access to components, at least in my area and based on what I see in online shelves. Not a ton of options, but more I think. You'd still be on your own for explosive components but it sure seems like I see a lot more dies, brass and projectiles for the 7 remington right now. Much of it is used but that can be a positive thing. I just got done filtering through a few sites that have a small but real selection of bullets, especially 150 grains and up. Changing to a 7 with its lower recoil in a sporter barrel would lessen the pain of target shooting a little also, and make that stock less of a burden in terms of accuracy. On top of that there are always 7 mag takeoff barrels around if you just want to try it for giggles. If you felt real crazy you could go to a 7 wsm. I've seen actual AMMO for that occasionally. Might not feed without work but it'd go bang. Heck there's 25 caliber bullets around, want a 257 weatherby? I can still buy 26 and occasionally 28 Nosler ammo around here, you could try that. You'd still want to plan on changing the stock as soon as you can, the stock is a weak link in fit, recoil, and accuracy for the higher recoiling savages. Even a creedmoor will move around in the plastic stock. Unless its an accustock, but I really bet that it's not. I love my accustock but finding one for a long action is tough from what I see and it doesn't do anything for recoil in terms of mass or geometry.

If you do want a 300 I can respect that, but there is less competition for 7mm supplies right now. Just a thought. Not finding bullets on top of everything else would just make me scream.

Upgrading/upsizing the barrel on a savage is fun, I just did it myself. If you decide to do that in any caliber there are some great threads on here discussing brands of prefits. Lots of great ones out there. My new one is from Crown Ridge. They only stock a few profiles but Anthony is super helpful and you'll get a barrel in 6-12 days, not weeks. Best thing about the Savage is you can upgrade in steps, don't feel bad about whichever thing you do first.
Thank you for all of the information! Yes.. I am sticking to the 300WM for now!

It is an accustock model, so questioning if a thicker contoured barrel would mean I have to get a different stock as barrel may not fit in foregrip of the rifle?

Look up Sharpshootersupply .com, everything there is for Savage ,above post is again something to think about. Companies that manufacture ammo , were pricey enough (before c/19) let alone now ,read up on prefit rifle barrels ,for contours 4,5are good places to start ,do you belong to a shooting club,or have relation, or friends that reload .yes bigger barrel means opening up your stock or replacing it with another, lots to read up on but someone's already asked your questions, good luck & Cheers .

Hello all,

I am finding myself feeling slightly discouraged about my current rifle/ammo situation...

Due to the virus and several other variables, I haven't been able to get the supplies to start reloading on my own. I am curious if anyone has a recommendation for a company that could do load development for my rifle? Additionally, what price should I be expecting for a service like this?

Additionally, I am finding that the sporter contour barrel on my rifle is not conducive for target practice, so am curious if purchasing a thicker contoured barrel would be in my best interest? If so, brand recommendations? Additionally, I assume if I go to a thicker barrel, a different stock will be in order?

Thank you!
I just did a quick Internet search type in custom ammo reloading there are too many to list here

I said all that about projectiles then went to search... lots has changed since February. tons more 30 cal than 7mm now, of course the makers focused on that diameter.

How old is the rifle? I haven't seen any of the newer savages in person but I bet there's not too much to dremel away to fit a newer barrel. It doesn't take much of a diameter increase to gain weight, reducing recoil by a huge amount. I'm with you, I'd rather be able to practice a little more comfortably for six months than shave all possible weight. A pundof additional gun equals about 4 pounds less recoil in warm WM loads. That's not nothing. If you got an aftermarket barrel you can opt for muzzle threads. I'm not a fan of brakes but sometimes they are called for. (Threads are included on the crown ridge price but their profile list goes straight from medium sporter to Sendero which is a solid jump in weight but can definitely still be shot offhand and carried.)

Also, at the risk of sounding like a jerk I just want to make sure we're talking about accustock with the aluminum bedding and not accuFIT, which has the adjustable combs. If it's the aluminum bedding then you're well served by getting the barrel you want and making it fit in my opinion. If you went from light sport to Sendero you're looking at removing about a tenth of an inch give or take from the perimeter of the barrel channel, not even the whole length.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the information! Yes.. I am sticking to the 300WM for now!

It is an accustock model, so questioning if a thicker contoured barrel would mean I have to get a different stock as barrel may not fit in foregrip of the rifle?
This boils down to what you are willing and able to spend to upgrade what you currently have. The same goes for a company that will develop a load for you. Set up a budget and go from there.

Does the company you've been using thus far not provide the service you are looking for?🤔

You might consider 'settling' (for now) on whatever your rifle shoots the best with until you're able to roll your own and before considering new barrels/stocks. Use the money saved during these tough times to purchase the equipment you need when things get better. 😇