Savage 11 LRH front action screw stripped

SavageScott

So I took my LRH apart to clean it, and the top of the front action screw completely stripped to the point that no allen wrench will fit it. It stripped right around 25 inch pounds. Two questions---

Any tips on getting it out?

Where can I get a new one? Brownells has one for a Savage 111 but not sure if they are all the same....

Thanks in advance!

An easy out from your local auto parts store will remove it, some times you can get a torx bit that is just slightly larger and tap it in with a hammer carefully to get a bite on a striped allen bolt/screw...

So I took my LRH apart to clean it, and the top of the front action screw completely stripped to the point that no allen wrench will fit it. It stripped right around 25 inch pounds. Two questions---

Any tips on getting it out?

Where can I get a new one? Brownells has one for a Savage 111 but not sure if they are all the same....

Thanks in advance!

I had the same thing happen with my Savage except that the bedding block binded the screw and it was very tight. Remington guard screws are also famous for Allen hole stripping. If it doesn't come out with the suggestions listed, which mine did not due to being tightly binded, the very BEST tool for this problem is an Alden Micro Grabit. Use size #4. Welcome to www.aldn.com
The shallow depth of the Allen hole in the guard screw makes it difficult with an easy out. The replacement guards screws are pretty standard except for the length. Just cut to the same as the original if it's too long.

Since you have a deer season coming up you might just consider leaving things as they are until later. You don't need to take the action out of the stock to clean it. Each time you remove the stock you will probably have to re-zero your rifle. Just sayin!

Actually, the most foolproof way to extract a broken or buggered up screw is TIG on a length of material and use that to remove the offending screw/bolt. Would probably melt the stock however....

I do that all the time with metal stuff.

I like the Grabbits. Went anf looked at them. The design is very similar to the Irwin Spline Drive extractors but with a drill on the opposite end. With a spline drive, you have to drill into the fastener with the appropriate sized drill first.

If it shoots great, one hole groups, just let me have it and go get another one. I'll fix it and keep it safe. J/k. Good luck. All good suggestions here.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.