Savage front action screw crooked, advice needed

squeeeeze

Bought a .260 Remington Savage LRH Mid January, received it 2-1-15 and the front action screw wouldn't screw back in after adjusting the trigger. Took back apart to see why and it was crooooooked! Called and sent back in to Savage and received it back a few days ago, Savage had it for approx. 3 weeks and they said that is a fast turn around for their gunsmiths.

Got around tonight to get it all set up and together, before I started I pulled it apart to look at it and the front action screw is still crooooked. Seems all they did was rethread the cross threaded threads all the way down so instead of rethreading properly its now threaded crooked all the way down. I'd stressed the crooked part to them as well as put in the notes on the RMA I sent in. I have trouble getting the front action screw to line up and have to leave the rear very loose so I'm sure there's binding as it is now.

100% of the reason I chose this gun and caliber was for an extremely accurate production gun that I'm planning on doing everything correct and achieve benchrest 1/8" or better accuracy as my goal , which I've achieved 1/8" with my Savage 116 .243. I've yet to even take a shot with this, much less mounted a base/rings, or scope.

My worry is that the horizontal torque or side pull will affect my accuracy and may cause unpredictability and fliers. I plan on restocking with a custom stock and eventually rebarrel, but all along I will still have this crooked action. Is this acceptable? Should I just not worry about it and shoot it anyways or talk to them and just insist on a new gun that isn't crooked? If I keep it I'll always have that nagging thought that my brand new pricy production rifle has side torqueing issues.

What should I do?
Here is a link to my first thread when it came in if it matters. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-savage-just-arrived-but-front-action-screw-crooked-148615/

I'll try and post pics here.

Attachments

• P1010681.jpg
    P1010681.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010682.jpg
    P1010682.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Re: Savage front action screw crooked on Savage, advice needed

Here is my Savage 116 .243 for a comparison to show what a straight front action screw looks like. I've used the rear screw to show better just how crooked the first is.

Attachments

• P1010671.jpg
    P1010671.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010675.jpg
    P1010675.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 155
Talk to them, send them the pictures. Hopefully they will take care of it. I would think they would replace the action. That is what I would want done. In the pictures it looks bad, in person if it is just as bad, yup new action. JMO

Talk to them, send them the pictures. Hopefully they will take care of it. I would think they would replace the action. That is what I would want done. In the pictures it looks bad, in person if it is just as bad, yup new action. JMO

+1! Do NOT do anything that might possibly void the warranty ... regardless of model and make, let the manufacturer fix it! Good luck!

I would think Savage will make it right, the only way they can make it right is a new action. I'm with FEENIX, and would not do anything to the rifle until they look at it. The only other option I see is to drill out the screw holes and expoxy pillar bed it so that the screw hole are not fighting each other.

Yeah, it's just as bad as In the picture if not worse! It's beyond obvious to me, and should have been as well to a gunsmith of theirs, especially since it was sent in for a cross threaded and crooked front action screw.

I feel the same, I feel need a new action or rifle, especially at this point. I called today from work to get an email and point of contact from Savage. I'll email them and see what they say this time. Bought this Mid. January, hopefully I'll be able to shoot it within another month or so :rolleyes:

Do you have a picture of the screw level or at a 90° angle to the table with the bubble level on the lug showing that it not level? If not, this might help to show that something is way off kilter for this screw.

You could also try and shot the back screw being at the proper angle to the action and the front one being off.

For them, pictures can tell a 1000 words.

Do you have a picture of the screw level or at a 90° angle to the table with the bubble level on the lug showing that it not level? If not, this might help to show that something is way off kilter for this screw.

You could also try and shot the back screw being at the proper angle to the action and the front one being off.

For them, pictures can tell a 1000 words.

No other pics as of now. Honestly the only reason I even put the level on so there would be no question to the readers just how crooked it is. It's pretty obvious just how crooked even without the level though. You can kind of use the trigger (even though pretty blurry) as a reference vs. compared to the 116 stainless in the 2nd post.

I could put the rear screw in and snap a couple more for reference, great idea! Will try and get one or two also with the screw level showing just how far off on the bubble. I'll try to take and post up pics tomorrow pm after work.

Here are a few more pics as requested. With rear screw in place (long screws on both to see better just what's going on) and with the screw itself level and showing the bubble level not quite so level in relation to the front action screw.

I'll send an email for tomorrow with pics and see what they say. Thanks for the responses.

Attachments

• P1010684.jpg
    P1010684.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 125
  • P1010688.jpg
    P1010688.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 90
  • P1010689.jpg
    P1010689.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010693.jpg
    P1010693.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.