New savage just arrived but front action screw is crooked

squeeeeze

Bought a rifle last week and had it shipped to a local FFL. I just picked up my new Savage LRH .260Rem this afternoon. Got home, took the action screws out so I could adjust the trigger. They were both extremely tight! Adjusted the trigger and put back together but the front action screw was not threading, it was just pushing the action away.

Took back apart and put screw in the front of action to see what was going on and it is extremely crooked. I'm not sure how this was even threaded in initially?

Guess I'll call Savage Monday to see what they say. Not sure if it has to go back to them or if there is a service place? This is very disappointing but I hope Savage will make it right. Just wanted to get this together ASAP and start developing loads. Hopefully I won't have to wait weeks to months for this and hopefully I won't have to pay for shipping to and from or have to pay another $35 to my local FFL receiver. Hope they don't try to blame me but I guess we'll see.

Has this happened to anyone else or is this just my bad luck?

sounds like it was cross threaded from the factory. you could try to run a tap in there to try to clean the threads up, but i would wait to see what savage has to say.

Savage will make it right. The FFL fee you will need to fight for since most sellers tend to try ans stick you with it. Be firm and see if the seller will work with you. Good luck

Thanks guys, from what I hear Savage will make it right. Don't really want to have to mess with sending it back (hassle for me) but we'll see what they say. Thought about buying and trying to run a tap to clean up the threads. Maybe it would be easier to take it to my gunsmith.

If the action threads are buggered, I'd definitely make Savage deal with it. If you touch it with a tap they may refuse to work on it later, or it may strip later and then you are stuck with it.

If the threads are damaged, I'd make them either fix it or replace the receiver. This is not one of the things I'd just do myself because the warranty is too much of a hassle.

If the action threads are buggered, I'd definitely make Savage deal with it. If you touch it with a tap they may refuse to work on it later, or it may strip later and then you are stuck with it.

If the threads are damaged, I'd make them either fix it or replace the receiver. This is not one of the things I'd just do myself because the warranty is too much of a hassle.

Good point, not that it's too much hassle to deal with warranty but trying to find a shipping box, didn't want to be without gun for weeks to months, pay shipping to and from, pay to pick it back up at my FFL again etc....

But..... Spoke to Savage today and as I'd hoped they were great. They'll email me a UPS return mailing label, said the regular gun box was designed to ship in safely (thought I'd have to find another box to put this one in), seems they'll pay for shipping both ways, and actually just return it directly to me and won't have to mess with an FFL and pay another $35. What a relief, gentleman I spoke to was very professional. He said he'd never heard of this issue I had so it's just my odd luck.

Thank you Savage!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.