Salt Bath Annealing

You are spot on. I've built a couple of these. Amazon also has prebuilt temp controllers that should fit the bill. Just make sure you can find a probe for the proper conditions and your temp range. I used something like (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N31E8BN/?tag=lrhmag19-20) for my last build and grabbed a more suitable thermocouple off ebay. Put it all in one of those plastic outdoor rated junction boxes you can pickup at a hardware store. Came out something like this...https://photos.app.goo.gl/H4ohHjXV7zrbXwoV8 You probably don't need the heat sink for the draw this will have on the pot but it makes it look all that much more cool.

How did you wire it? I'm no electrician.

Where is everyone getting their salt from? Ballistic Recreations is out of stock and Hightemptools wants $24 for shipping. Is there anywhere else to get it?

The wife gave me a scowl as o was ordering my melter pot off amazon. I told her jewelry could be melted as well got scowled at again. No sense of humour.

When I get that look, I always remind her I could easily be in a bar chasing women. That usually wipes the look off her face. Didn't work well when she found out I dropped 4K on a ground squirrel gun :)

I am very interested in this salt bath method, looks like a pretty good system. I just happen to have a Lee Lead pot laying around. I have been temped to throw it out many times. Glad I didn't

You can make yourself one very cheap. A piece of metal and some brass fittings to hang the cases on will work. I made one with just the materials I have at my house.

I was planning on making one until I seen them back in stock. I got excited when I seen the add to cart button... but this way I know I have the right stuff.

Just finished building my PID, shell holder, and doing a test run with boiling water (hence the low temperature). I'm waiting for my salt to arrive in the mail.
PID Test run.jpg

If you get a minute, I would see if that paint will take high heat or take it off ahead of time.
You want to keep the contamination as low as possible. The salt can react with contamination and so can the brass. Keep things clean and you won't get any mysterious problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.