Sako trg (used) vs Remington milspec 5r

vmf

Hi guys.

I want a rifle for target shooting at 600 and 900 yards. I was almost in the door of the weapon store to buy a Remington 700 milspec 5r in 308W and a Bushnell elite 6500 (everything 2700€) but...
I received a call from a friend of one friend who sells his Sako TRG 42 in 300WM+ Burris Xtrem tactical 6-24x50 (everything 2000€) He used this rifle for hunting, so maybe it is not like new.

¿Which one whoul you choose?

Do you know how many rounds down the barrel?
If it's not too many rounds, the trg is a class above the milspec and the superior gun.
I don't know, but if it was used to hunt I don't think that ti has too much. The problem is that maybe it is not in good conditions because of the walking throught the mountains. Moreover, 300WM maybe is excesive to target shooting, I don't know. I will check the rifle next week.

I believe they're cerakoted and tough. They're made for tactical use, I wouldn't be too worried about the condition unless it's really abused. For long range, a 300 will be fine, not like a 308.

Definite vote for the TRG here. I scored a used TRG-S action a while back on here and even as a used up action it was far smoother than any 700 I've handled. The trigger is awesome and everything about the build is top notch quality, where the 700 bean counters cut corners to save cost for mass production. Buy the sako, then use the difference to upgrade glass or pick up a new barrel and have i installed.
For long range target, that 300wm will rock.

My wife is from Finland so we spend most of our vacations there. My father in law got me a tour of the SAKO factory. The rifles they produce are awesome. When it comes to deciding what to purchase. have to say 5R is the way to go, with the cavaet that on all factory guns you pays your money you takes your chances.

My last Remington purchase new was a little 243 youth model. Nothing pretty, crap stocka nd trigger, but it shoots good and at $350 who is going to complain? In the past I had several horrible experiences with Remington, but those go back 5-8 years when they were downsizing, moving from Ilion to south, and were literally promoting people up the ranks so that they could have them fire the rest and turn off the lights. (I work with one guy who had that very experience). I had a shotgun barrel with the gas block welded cattywampus (scientific term) and two replacements that lacked the gas port holes. Then two 270 WSM 700's with no leade, throated way short and having the very worst barrels ever scoped by the barrel manufacturer who replaced them. According to recent buyers, things have improved. In my mind they could not have gotten worse.

I like the Sako/Tikka models, but for what you are planning to do, I would stick with the 5R. If you do not like it, knock off $100 and sell it...it will go. For $100 it is worth the trial. And lots of guys swear by the 5R.

It would depend on the difference in price, and condition of the Sako. Given both were acceptable, I'd go for the Sako. Either choice will accomplish your goal. .

5R Milspec. Cheaper, and will shoot just as good, maybe better. Most saying the TRG have never shot a 5R Milspec. The other half just hear ".300WM" and immediately push you in that direction because it's the "in" cartridge right now (this coming from someone who owns BOTH cartridges...Ironically, both are 5R Milspecs).

Here's what a stock factory 5R Milspec .308 Win can do with handloads...

3-shot group...

fullsizeoutput_11ce.jpeg

24-shots (hot-lap, no breaks), 1.286" group. If you tried that with a .300WM it would get so hot that it would burn half the throat out.

fullsizeoutput_132b.jpeg

5R .308 Win (left), 5R .300WM (right)...

fullsizeoutput_f46.jpeg

Last edited:
Both guns are great. However I would take the used Sako for that price. As has been mentioned if you do not like the 300WM you can always rebarrel. It sounds like you are getting a good deal on the Sako so go for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.