5r milspec

mok

Hello everyone this is my first post so bear with me. I have a question on clean cold bore shots. i have a remington 700 5r milspec and it is the most accurate rifle i have ever shot...5 shots in 1 hole at 200 yards!! however the otherday i noticed the when i clean my bore...1 wet patch followed by one dry my poi shifts left .5 inches and 2inches down at 200 yards after that first clean cold bore flier is fired the rifles poi goes back to where is was. I would always like to know where my poi is going to be at all times and at all ranges. so i am now wondering if my clean cold bore shot is 2 inches low at 200 yards does that mean it will be 10 inches low at 1000 yards or will it be more then 10 inches because as a bullet gets slower and slower it drops more and more? any input would be greatly apprecieated sorry for the long post

Hello everyone this is my first post so bear with me. I have a question on clean cold bore shots. i have a remington 700 5r milspec and it is the most accurate rifle i have ever shot...5 shots in 1 hole at 200 yards!! however the otherday i noticed the when i clean my bore...1 wet patch followed by one dry my poi shifts left .5 inches and 2inches down at 200 yards after that first clean cold bore flier is fired the rifles poi goes back to where is was. I would always like to know where my poi is going to be at all times and at all ranges. so i am now wondering if my clean cold bore shot is 2 inches low at 200 yards does that mean it will be 10 inches low at 1000 yards or will it be more then 10 inches because as a bullet gets slower and slower it drops more and more? any input would be greatly apprecieated sorry for the long post

Theoretically and most likely you will be 10" low at 1k, the bullet is simply taking a different path. The velocity is declining but basically it is the trajectory of the bullet. All of your shots will take a similar path at any range the uncontrollable variables are what will make you cuss.

Clean cold bore means little to nothing as you would never go to the field w/ a clean bore. Determine where your POI is w/ a fowled cold bore. That is the question that needs to be answered. Sounds like you have a hammer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but sounds like you're cleaning your gun a lot. Depending on your powder, and of course round count, it doesn't need to be cleaned that often. A lot of people do more damage to their throats via cleaning than shooting.

thanks thats what i figured i just dont know why my poi doesnt shift on my other 700 adl... i cant wait to take it out further and give it a try and i know that cold bore means little to nothing i believe this is only a clean bore thing and yes i do clean my bore alot you are right i guess ill start doing it much less often as i would hate to ruin such a nice gun and yes the gun is a hammer i could post some pics of targets if anyone is interested...thanks again

Pictures are always fun.

That clean bore shift may gradually pull towards your group as the barrel imperfections are smoothed out.

RE: pics

how do i post pictures on here it says i need a url which i dont know where to find one because my pics are saved in my pictures folder...im stumped

target1.jpg that was 5 shots at 200 hornady match 168s bthp backed by 42 g varget on a fairly windy day

[/ATTACH] 3 shots at 200 yards 42g varget hornadr match bthp...i may have posted this in the wrong place sorry i just joined today

Attachments

• target2.jpg
    target2.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 63
  • target 3.jpg
    target 3.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
They're very accurate guns... I have 2 myself. A 26" .300WM, and a 24" .308 Win. I have never shot the .300WM it is still brand new, only mod is a trigger swap and tune. The .308 Win shoots like yours does. Sub 1/4-Minute groups on average with handloads.

I have been shooting the Remington 700 Milspecs for several years owning a 300WM and a few 308's. All have produced superb accurscy consistent with the performance of your rifle. My opinion is that the key attributes of the R5 barrel is that they are exceptionally accurate, clean easily, and will hold accuracy and zero well between cleanings. It does take a couple of fouling shots to stabilize performance after cleaning. I will normally clean my rifles after 150-200 rounds, and even aftrr this volume, accuracy has not eroded from the typical sub.5MOA performance. I use these rifles for competition and hunting. My rifles are stock except for the trigger, and I bed the lug. I added a muzzle break to the 300WM.

The is typical performance of my Milspecs showing 5 shot groups of factory GM Match and a matching handload at 100 yards, and 200 yard 5 shot group of the same handload. The barrels last about 2500 rounds before accuracy eroded to .5-.75MOA. My rifles are frequently shot hot in summer competitive events.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.