Sako A7

Freshta

Can someone give me their opinion of the Sako A7 rifle? I've been thinking of getting one from Cabelas in 7mm mag, not sure if I want the Long Range or the varmint. Plan on chucking the stock and bedding it in a McMillan or Manners and throwing a brake in it.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

I have the Varmint. At this point, I'd say: put your money into something else - such as a Remington 700 custom - especially since you're planning to put a different stock on it, anyway.
The A7 action is the low end of the Sako line, looks an awful lot like a Ruger American to my eyes now. Mine shot decent at first and I expected it to get better; it's gotten worse instead and I haven't found a handload better than the factory stuff I first used (that won't do the same now, either). Changing out the supplied cheap Weaver or picatinny bases has helped some, but the fluted barrel heats up so fast I have to wait fifteen minutes between shots to get any kind of group (have checked free-float clearance, action screw torque, etc.); am thinking barrel quality might possibly have been compromised on these specials. Oh, and rounds pop out of the magazine(s) in warm weather, and cases don't always fully eject. Do like the easily-adjustable trigger and the aluminum block-bedded B&C stock.
Overall: an appealing package but at this stage for me - after much initial optimism - just ain't gettin' it. In fairness, I have read/heard of some A7 owners who are happy with their accuracy and reliability.

Thanks for the reply. I saw them and liked what I saw, but I think I will stick with 700's.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.