Sadly...

There are quite a few factory offerings in 7MM. But none are designed for long slippery bullets. Thats the problem with ALL of them. One good design around the long bullet, out of the powder, in SAAMI, at or above 3k fps, and all of the others go into the archives... at least among all of us who care about such things. For the guy who shoots 160 partitions at 300 yds and under, the other 7s will remain.

Just think if Winchester has put the short mags in their standard length action. But at that time everything coming out of conneticut was pretty much junk. Machinery wore out. Union workers that only cared about a check. Not all I am sure but many. I had a man bring me one of the later model 70,s from conneticut. Wanted me to build a rifle. I set the action up in lathe and indicated it. The bolt was .040 off center from the threads. We have a problem. Should I just cut it in 2 and throw it in the junk pile? Since FN bought them and moved them things have improved a lot.

I agree. The prc needs at least a 3 inch box. But I do like it is not rebated. I have to hand it to you. You are getting incredible speeds. I did not fall off a turnip truck yesterday. I can see how you are doing it. But I like it. You are a innovator!!
I have a saying that I use, and believe.
I dont consider myself any smarter than most people, but I AM smart enough to pay attention to what works and WAS designed by smart people!

There are quite a few factory offerings in 7MM. But none are designed for long slippery bullets. Thats the problem with ALL of them. One good design around the long bullet, out of the powder, in SAAMI, at or above 3k fps, and all of the others go into the archives... at least among all of us who care about such things. For the guy who shoots 160 partitions at 300 yds and under, the other 7s will remain.
In a Remington action you can easily do that. You have enough length to throat for any bullet. But sadly once a cartridge gets saami listed what it is is what it is. But if you want to long throat for a 7 mag it is not a problem in the right action. I have built 28 noslers that go in a 3.4 box. If I were you I would not stand at a thousand and stick your tongue out.

You're talking about ONE bullet, the 195 Berger right? Everything can and will shoot it just fine if the gun is put together correctly with the right twist. Some of us had 200gr Wildcats long before people even hunted with Berger's which was long before anything PRC or Sherman existed.

Who cares if the bullet is down into the case as long as you get your desired velocity? It'll definitely feed better then having it super long and in a hunting rifle I want it to feed reliably 100% of the time.

You're talking about ONE bullet, the 195 Berger right? Everything can and will shoot it just fine if the gun is put together correctly with the right twist. Some of us had 200gr Wildcats long before people even hunted with Berger's which was long before anything PRC or Sherman existed.

Who cares if the bullet is down into the case as long as you get your desired velocity? It'll definitely feed better then having it super long and in a hunting rifle I want it to feed reliably 100% of the time.
well said. The only reason I replied is he made a blanket statement. I shoot nosler partitions a lot. 300 yards? Must be a city boy who reads a lot and is an expert.

I think making a blanket statement on 7ss max and 28 SM will do XX fps isn't quite fair. Not all barrels are equal, RARELY does a cartridge get accuracy at max charge, and your speeds are MAX in probably longest or longer than normal lengths 26-28". The average guy without unicorn horn powder with likely see accuracy @ 2875-2900 and 3050-3100 with these cartridges and 195 Bergers. I wish my rifles shot accurately at absolute max, but that's just not realistic whatsoever, .......... however I AM building a 7ss max w/ a 26" barrel, I try to be skeptical in preparation to not be disappointed when my rifle only does 2930 max fps w/ 195s and N570!

Last edited:
Wow... let me first apologize. I was stating what I thought was few words to a point. Maybe if I elaborate a bit thin skin will heal up and feathers will un-ruffle.
I shoot partitions too. Just not at distance. Read into that if you like but they lack BC compared to those intended for long range (long range hunting.com). They also require more velocity to perform well than most chamberings have left at distance.
For clarity, the 195 is one of the bullets I am referring to. It is certainly not the only "long slippery bullet". Sorry for the offensive manner I used.
I brought up this thread to get information and consider logical, helpful points from from other informed enthusiasts, thank you for your input

Nice to see all the interest in the 7mm with so much ultra focus on 6.5 & 30 Cal's. I've got 3 7mm rem mags and an stw all shooting the 180 eld. The 180 eld is my all time favorite bullet from Hornady. I guess manufactures are still reaping profits from the 6.5 interest and I can't blame them for that. 7mm interest will eventually get stirred up again.

Hornady did NOT introduce the 7PRC or 28PRC or whatever at the SHOT Show. I can't express my disappointment. My expectation of the 7 PRC was a slightly shortened 300 PRC case, necked down to .28 with 180 ELD-M in a SAAMI chamber launched at 3150 fps with 4-5 grains less powder than the 28 Noz.
So... 7 Sherman Magnum or 7 Max?
Wouldn't that essentially be a 7 saum? And how well was that received by the manufacturers?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.