Sadly...

Hornady did NOT introduce the 7PRC or 28PRC or whatever at the SHOT Show. I can't express my disappointment. My expectation of the 7 PRC was a slightly shortened 300 PRC case, necked down to .28 with 180 ELD-M in a SAAMI chamber launched at 3150 fps with 4-5 grains less powder than the 28 Noz.
So... 7 Sherman Magnum or 7 Max?
If a 300 was necked to 7 it would be more than 4 or 5 gr less than a 28. My suggestion? A 7 practical. Gives up very little to the 28 and uses less powder and will go in a shorter box than the 300 prc. I need to be careful here because some of these new bullets are a long as your little finger:rolleyes:

Yeah, I studied the 7 practical for a bit. Theres not a lot to dislike about it but the Max gives up nothing to the Practical. It saves a couple of steps and uses less powder in a shorter case. If I remember right, the 7 Practical has a sweet spot for the 180m in a 9 twist at about 79 grains for powder. The Max has that beat in less steps. The brass needs only fire forming, no neck-down steps

Yeah, I studied the 7 practical for a bit. Theres not a lot to dislike about it but the Max gives up nothing to the Practical. It saves a couple of steps and uses less powder in a shorter case. If I remember right, the 7 Practical has a sweet spot for the 180m in a 9 twist at about 79 grains for powder. The Max has that beat in less steps. The brass needs only fire forming, no neck-down steps
My suggestion. I am sure you will be happy with your max. Good luck and happy hunting!!

I'm guessing Hornady didn't release a 7mm PRC because the .284 class is flooded with chamberings...it would be doing nothing new that hasn't been done for decades. For a 7mm there is really no reason to go with a wildcat when there are so many factory offerings that can accomplish anything your heart desires. I know they aren't "cool and new" or have fancy names but they will get the job done just as well.

IF you want a wildcat 7mm I would look hard into a 7mm Hart or 7mm/300 Winny. They can accomplish everything without having to use non-existent N570.

I assume longer throating and longer oal. And also a little looser throat?
I got in a big row on here a few nights ago about cases. Belted or not belted. In the end a case is nothing more than a vessel to contain pressure. The modern belted cases the belt is just cosmetic. People decided they did not like that. On the other side of the fence are the bas tard Jeffery designs with rebated rims. Marketing has done wonders. I really do not understand why Winchester copied Remington with the rebated rim. They did not need to. Remington did it so they did not need to alter their bolt. And the straighter and more square a casing is the harder it is to make it feed. I like them going in and out like greasy sausages. So here we are. Personal preference. I have both designs. Winchester!!! Look at the 300 win mag. They needed to stuff as much powder as possible into a case and get it in a 3.4 box so a no throat chamber and the bullet very deep in the case. The thing I can not understand is the model 70 they made for the H&H cases. I recently designed a 6.5 x 300 win mag. Really hard, I took a normal length model 70. Drilled the spot welds on the spacer in the box. Presto. 3.6 box. No changing the bolt stop or anything else.:rolleyes: The 458,338, 300. They could have competed with weatherby and made a 458 Lott without the shortcomings of their original designs. And the 7 rem mag. They really missed the boat on that. But no. They had to juice everybody to get their long action they made for 2 cartridges. Idiots

7 max will exceed 3100' with a few powders with a 180 Berger and 29
I got in a big row on here a few nights ago about cases. Belted or not belted. In the end a case is nothing more than a vessel to contain pressure. The modern belted cases the belt is just cosmetic. People decided they did not like that. On the other side of the fence are the bas tard Jeffery designs with rebated rims. Marketing has done wonders. I really do not understand why Winchester copied Remington with the rebated rim. They did not need to. Remington did it so they did not need to alter their bolt. And the straighter and more square a casing is the harder it is to make it feed. I like them going in and out like greasy sausages. So here we are. Personal preference. I have both designs. Winchester!!! Look at the 300 win mag. They needed to stuff as much powder as possible into a case and get it in a 3.4 box so a no throat chamber and the bullet very deep in the case. The thing I can not understand is the model 70 they made for the H&H cases. I recently designed a 6.5 x 300 win mag. Really hard, I took a normal length model 70. Drilled the spot welds on the spacer in the box. Presto. 3.6 box. No changing the bolt stop or anything else.:rolleyes: The 458,338, 300. They could have competed with weatherby and made a 458 Lott without the shortcomings of their original designs. And the 7 rem mag. They really missed the boat on that. But no. They had to juice everybody to get their long action they made for 2 cartridges. Idiots
I agree and the short mags were not well thought out either. It started with the 6.5 RM and then continued on with the saum and wsm being too long to run high b c bullets without Taking up case capacity.
Even the new 6.5 prc didnt change the problem! Sure, they perform pretty well, but not what they capable of unless they're built on a longer action, or at least, a custom mag box

Another thing while I am at it. I understand that at the time Winchester did this the short magnums of the time were all the craze. Take a springfield, enfield, mauser. Run the reamer in and open the bolt and good to go. But if Winchester had done what I said they would have cut out all those other actions. Or at least made it a lot more work. The heaven of a bean counter with a turkey neck and a tie;)

7 max will exceed 3100' with a few powders with a 180 Berger and 29

I agree and the short mags were not well thought out either. It started with the 6.5 RM and then continued on with the saum and wsm being too long to run high b c bullets without Taking up case capacity.
Even the new 6.5 prc didnt change the problem! Sure, they perform pretty well, but not what they capable of unless they're built on a longer action, or at least, a custom mag box
I agree. The prc needs at least a 3 inch box. But I do like it is not rebated. I have to hand it to you. You are getting incredible speeds. I did not fall off a turnip truck yesterday. I can see how you are doing it. But I like it. You are a innovator!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.