Runout???

That why I love this forum Clay Target Guy.
I don't pretend to know it all. But I can offer a lot of knowledge when I can, and get a lot of knowledge when I need it....

I'm thinking of getting some Lapua 30-06 brass and maybe some Norma 6.5 Creed brass.
I wonder what the rejection rate is with Lapua and Norma?
In other words, how many can I expect to be consistent with each other in a lot of 100.. And.... Will the neck thickness be more consistent or basically the same as Winchester and Hornady?

That why I love this forum Clay Target Guy.
I don't pretend to know it all. But I can offer a lot of knowledge when I can, and get a lot of knowledge when I need it....

I'm thinking of getting some Lapua 30-06 brass and maybe some Norma 6.5 Creed brass.
I wonder what the rejection rate is with Lapua and Norma?
In other words, how many can I expect to be consistent with each other in a lot of 100.. And.... Will the neck thickness be more consistent or basically the same as Winchester and Hornady?

Much much better consistently! I've had a ZERO cull rate so far on both Norma or Lapua.

I use a lot of Winchester brass for cartridges that isn't made by Lapua nor Norma or cartridges that I happen to have a ton of Winchester brass for.
I make my Winchester brass as consistent as Lapua by sorting/culling case wall,neck thickness variance ,
Neck turning, annealing, PP uniforming, flash hole deburring and sorting into weight lots. That's a lot of work and in the end the primer pockets won't last as long as Lapua.

I use a lot of Winchester brass for cartridges that isn't made by Lapua nor Norma or cartridges that I happen to have a ton of Winchester brass for.
I make my Winchester brass as consistent as Lapua by sorting/culling case wall,neck thickness variance ,
Neck turning, annealing, PP uniforming, flash hole deburring. That's a lot of work and in the end the primer pockets won't last as long as Lapua.
I do anneal, and I ordered a Flashhole deburring tool, Neck turner and some graphite neck lube. I already have the RCBS concentricity guage.
I polished the expander on my dies. So now I wait for deliveries and see if it helps.. Lol
I might as well order a Primer pocket uniformer since you brought that up... :D

IMO, culling for case/neck wall thickness variation can have the most effect on case and bullet run out , which if isn't checked will get progressively pronounced the more the case is fired and sized.
Followed closely by neck turning, but turning does not address the case body thickness variation problem.

Don't make assumptions with brass brands.
I have seen both excellent(many), and yet the worst I've ever measured, from different lots of brown box Lapua in 6br. I had a lot of Winchester in WSSM that was the best I've ever measured.
It's chance, changing with lots, and different per cartridge.

tbrice23, mentioned making his brass as good as any, and this is important. Our brass is what we accept and make of it.
You could take 1,000pcs of junk Federal, costing nearly nothing compared to Lapua, and make diamonds from 50 of them. With a plan for it you could make those 50 last several lifetimes.

As far as measurement, Norma has been the most consistent for me(my cartridges) lot after lot.
It's only weakness is a soft composition. Winchester is harder, and there is a test out there showing Winchester as harder than blue box Lapua(that Lapua denies).
You just never know what you have really -until measuring and testing for yourself.

Don't make assumptions with brass brands.
I have seen both excellent(many), and yet the worst I've ever measured, from different lots of brown box Lapua in 6br. I had a lot of Winchester in WSSM that was the best I've ever measured.
It's chance, changing with lots, and different per cartridge.

tbrice23, mentioned making his brass as good as any, and this is important. Our brass is what we accept and make of it.
You could take 1,000pcs of junk Federal, costing nearly nothing compared to Lapua, and make diamonds from 50 of them. With a plan for it you could make those 50 last several lifetimes.

As far as measurement, Norma has been the most consistent for me(my cartridges) lot after lot.
It's only weakness is a soft composition. Winchester is harder, and there is a test out there showing Winchester as harder than blue box Lapua(that Lapua denies).
You just never know what you have really -until measuring and testing for yourself.
I definetly agree with you guys....
Im going to work on case prep with the brass I have before switching brands.
I have found my 300 Weatherby Norma brass is soft, but consistent.
I using Hornady brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor and Winchester for my 30-06 and .243 and last but not least Remington Brass for my 7 mag. Out of all of it I noticed I can push the 30-06 Win brass pretty hard. Along with the Remington 7mag brass.
All the while I know pushing a cartridge hard isn't always the best route, infact it almost never is. So I'm going for consistent/meticulous case prep and tight groups..

I have a cheap suggestions and don't really care if I get heat for it or not. Try a Lee sizing die.

I have never had a problem with Lee dies. No, they're not hardened but they do know how to make excellently designed products.

I'm glad someone else said it first! :)

Also you can buy "undersized" expanders for Lee dies for a few bucks. I have one but have yet to test it yet. I get very minimal runout with the Lee dies how they come from the factory. But I like the idea of working the necks as little as possible.

Apparently I don't enjoy brass prep as much as many of you! One of my criteria when I'm picking a new rifle cartridge is if high end brass is available for it, mostly Lapua. If I can't get great brass for a cartridge, it's a serious negative in my mind.

Redding body die, and lee collet neck die = low runout. Cheap too. If you run a mandrel then skim turn the necks it will get them spot on.

The rifles I'm playing with already shoot three shots sub...
Maybe I can get the fourth and fifth shot in the group a little tighter.
30-06, 208 ELDs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.