Runout???

After I done my spindle assembly adjustment I was able to keep case neck run out to between .000 and .0015. Prior to this I often had as high as .005. I found that this also translated into less bullet run out. I must say that with hunting rifle chambers you might not be able to see the difference unless the run out get real bad.

You guys think the Imperial Graphite Neck Lube kit will help with expander ball drag and neck stretching?

If you're FL sizing necks, you've got a far worse problem than runout(just one side effect).
You're way over sizing, including donut area, and no doubt your tension is all over the map.
Thickness variance, and sizing of it..

I polished my expander on my Hornady neck sizing die to a very smooth finish on my jewlery buffer. And I'm going to try the imperial neck lube kit and see if it helps.
I noticed when I lube the neck, it didint pull the neck. It brought it down to about 3-4 thousandths instead of the .005.
So i am going to,
Anneal (which I always do.)
Turn off the high spots on the neck.
Lube the inside of the neck.
I polished the expander.
And if it's a waist of time, I'll order a bushing die...

I noticed you mentioned polishing the expander ball and are considering lubing the necks... When I first started reloading I bought Hornady dies. I had terrible problems with the expander ball galling. Took me a while but I figured it out. The Hornady dies with expander ball size the neck down way more than they need to. This forces the expander ball to work very hard to push the brass back out to the proper size. One way to reduce this effect is to turn the necks so they are thin, like 0.012 or so. This helps, but the real problem is the die is to tight. Bushing dies solve this problem. Also polishing the expander will reduce its diameter which will give you more neck tension.

Also I switched from a regular Redding seater die to a Forester bench rest seater with the sliding sleeve that holds the case and noticed the worst case run out reduced by close to 0.0015 to 0.002.

Hope this helps...

I have a cheap suggestions and don't really care if I get heat for it or not. Try a Lee sizing die.

I have never had a problem with Lee dies. No, they're not hardened but they do know how to make excellently designed products.

I have a cheap suggestions and don't really care if I get heat for it or not. Try a Lee sizing die.

I have never had a problem with Lee dies. No, they're not hardened but they do know how to make excellently designed products.
I actually agree,
I thought about getting the four die set to try the neck die...
I have never had a problem with anything Lee...
They make simple tools that work exceptionally well...

I noticed you mentioned polishing the expander ball and are considering lubing the necks... When I first started reloading I bought Hornady dies. I had terrible problems with the expander ball galling. Took me a while but I figured it out. The Hornady dies with expander ball size the neck down way more than they need to. This forces the expander ball to work very hard to push the brass back out to the proper size. One way to reduce this effect is to turn the necks so they are thin, like 0.012 or so. This helps, but the real problem is the die is to tight. Bushing dies solve this problem. Also polishing the expander will reduce its diameter which will give you more neck tension.

Also I switched from a regular Redding seater die to a Forester bench rest seater with the sliding sleeve that holds the case and noticed the worst case run out reduced by close to 0.0015 to 0.002.

Hope this helps...
I was worried at first about the reduction in diameter by polishing. But I would have to polish for a hour or so to reduce the diameter enough to matter. It's a jewlery polisher and it would reduce ring shank sizes and wear out expensive jewlery if it was very aggressive.
I definetly see your point on the oversizing the neck, I am going to turn necks.
Heck just polishing the expander helped a lot with extraction.
Probably going to get a bushing die after all this work though, that's how I always do things. I work hard one trying to fix it, and end up just going a different route..

I have read this post with interest as I was getting about .007-.012 runout on some 270 Win I have been loading.
I have not turned the necks (yet) but one thing that helped a lot was to anneal my brass.
After annealing and resizing, I had about .0005-.001 on the neck of the case. After loading, I went from dead nuts to .005 runout.
I think neck turning will help get the .005 down as well.
Will continue to watch this thread and learn.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.