Ruger No.1, Eabco 97D, or TC Encore For single shot rifle ?

HARPERC you wouldn't happen to have a picture handy of the Ruger No. 1 Synthetic Thumbhole Stock made by Oregonsmithing/Pendleton stocks ? It would be an interesting take on the Ruger No.1 that I might want to undertake. Since I'm also trying to make a benchrest capable No.1, thanks.

375rifleman

IMG_0210.JPG

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/

His other stock is pretty similar to to a #1B, with a cheek piece. I'd call and ask about a more specific bench style stock if that's your goal. It might take a little longer if he doesn't have a mold on hand.
This stock gives me a better cheek weld than his other one, and is ambidextrous. The other has a bit of cast off, and is more hand specific. The fore end on this one isn't bench rest wide, just flat on the bottom.

I would recommend Mark Penrod (Penrod Precision) of North Manchester, IN for any No. 1 work. He has done some work for me on them, trigger etc. No.1's can be real fussy on how they bed with the forearm with all sorts of "fixes" for that problem. Get rid of the stock scope rail and use good scope bases and rings. Mark Penrod makes his own and are 2nd to none. Like any good gunsmith, he does have a waiting time. He builds quality rifles and that is all anyone can ask for.

Although I'm still wondering if it would be possible to have a structured barrel on a No. 1 as that eliminates nearly all of the barrel whip. I don't know if a slower heavier velocity cartridge would have a great amount of barrel whip or not 2000fps> or less and 750gr-850gr bullet. As all rifle cartridges produce at least a little barrel whip from 22lr-50BMG it's just to what degree. Or if it would be so minuscule that I have no need to worry about it.

375rifleman

The only reason that I bring structured barrels up is that I'm trying to get the most accuracy as possible from the No. 1 platform. I know I should pick a different cartridge if I want supreme accuracy. That the 50 Alaskan was never meant for accuracy.

375rifleman

What is a structured barrel?

Another consideration is the effect of muzzle brakes on whip. JE custom has some excellent video showing some of the dynamics. It's amazing we don't break more stocks like the one pictured above.

The Alaskan has likely never been tested in a bench capable rifle. With good bullets I bet it surprises you. Do you have a bullet in mind?

HARPERC basically structured barrels are a large diameter, multi-hole hyper rigid barrel that have virtually no barrel whip and are harmonically dead. This aftermarket solution creates a multi-hole ("I-Beam") Structure that both reinforces the main chamber and adds three hundred percent more surface area for cooling. TacomHQ (www.tacomhq.com) which currently hold the patent on the product concept can provide a much better explanation than I can.

375rifleman

I just don't exactly know how Ruger No. 1 barrels are fitted/attached as currently these barrels are normally fitted to common bolt action rifle platforms so they might not even be compatible at all. These barrels are also much larger diameters. Although actually lighter weight than comparable size rifle barrels.

375rifleman

HARPERC I was thinking of using a Hornady 750gr A-Max, Barnes 750gr TAC-LR Boatail, or a 750gr, 800gr, or 850gr Cutting Edge Lazer (which reportably could expand as slow as 1200fps) bullet. At velocities from 1500fps-2000fps.

375rifleman

Have you ever looked at the Hagn single shot actions? A bit of sticker shock, but fun to look, numerous sizes up to 600 Nitro.

The Falling Block Works is a sturdy beast, also in sizes. Looked for a large for a long time. I found one priced right, but in the middle of divorce.

If you do Facebook check the Ruger No, 1 page. I'm not certain l'm OK with it, but there are guys doing the bigger rimmed .50 cartridges.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Browning single shots? A 45-70 could be rebarreled to what your trying to do and the have a very good rep as far as being good shooters

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.