Ruger No.1, Eabco 97D, or TC Encore For single shot rifle ?

TC all the way for me. I owned a couple of No1's, .243 and 30-06 way back but they both shot patterns, not groups so off they went! I have an Encore with 7RemMag , 22-250 and 50BP barrels and a Contender with .223 and 7-30 Waters barrels. All are very accurate and have taken loads of game. And if you ever have a hankering to try a new cartridge between TC and all the aftermarket barrel makers there is nothing you can't get.
I agree. I have an Encore with 28 in. Hunter barrels in 243 and 6.5 Creed. A 26 in Hunter barrel in 308. A 27 in. MGM barrel that's 1 in. Full bull fluted SS with integral muzzle brake in 6.5 PRC that I really like and a 20 in. 460 S&W barrel . All scoped. In Contender a 21 in. 25 Bullbery barrel (30-30 necked to 25 cal.) With integral brake. A 14 in. 35 Rem. and a 10 in. Bull barrel 44 Mag. First 2 scoped. I used to have about every barrel TC made for contender when I was young. You cant beat them for versatility. The different calibers you can get. The encore is much stronger than the G2 or old Contender. Can shoot magnums, etc.. they generally are accurate .

Does anyone have contact information for Mark Pernod or Pernod Precision? I don't have any social media accounts, and all that I can find is phone number(s) which may or may not be correct. I was going to email him and get an idea of what a custom No. 1 would involve cost and time wise. So that I can start saving up in order to make it financially feasible. I know that I can make it work I would just like an estimation.

375rifleman

Same as you, not even sure if it's Pernod, or Penrod???? I came across this number (260) 982-8385 on another site. No guarantee, but worth a try.

It would be really nice if I could get an email address. I don't like leaving messages or voice mails if possible. I'm guessing around $2000 for a custom built No.1 rifle. For those that have worked with Mark Penrod am I even close to the right number? Thanks,

375rifleman

Where are you starting from! What do you have?

I din't know Mark, but have had some customs done, and priced some of the necessary stuff out there. If starting from scratch, I'd guess you need to double, perhaps triple your $2000.

HARPERC I would be completely starting from scatch. So you think it would be closer to $4000-$6000? If that were the case I might need to go with a TC or forget it because I don't have $4000-$6000 of moveable income at the moment.

375rifleman

For starters you have to find a donor action. Which with No.1's can be tough to find one priced as a donor. So you end up buying a rifle, which are generally over valued by most owners. A custom stock. A better grade after market barrel, and then a smith to match and tune the system. Sucks but I think it's a pretty fair estimate. Cheaper is possible.

Thanks HARPERC I have been looking for good condition used No. 1 rifles. Which are getting harder to find, and it's nearly impossible to find one that's under $1200. I have however located a smith willing to do the work. Although this smith also recommended using a TC Encore, which is something I may need to do in the end. Although TC's aren't nearly as classic or elegant as a No. 1 there are more smiths willing to work on them. And aftermarket/custom options are much higher.

375rifleman

What's really tough to find is beater to just salvage the action. A lot of safe queens in the No.1's.

If it was me I'd consider one of the off the shelf big bores like the .45-70, can be a .45-120 with just a little bit. The .450-400 3". 9.3x74, .416, .450 Bushmaster. Not a huge fan of re-boring, but can likely be achieved in your budget.

Look no further than a Cooper single shot. Semi custom rifles of the best quality you can find anywhere. They also hold their value - few other rifles will do that.

Their list of standard chamberings include the:
338 Win Mag
340 Weatherby Mag
375 Whelan
375 H&H

I didn't see the 50 Alaskan.

However, they are a large scale custom rifle maker. Give them a shout and ask them directly.

I can only say I've never in my life held any "factory" rifle in my hands that looked better, felt better, and shot better than a Cooper.

www.cooperfirearms.com

Cheers!

Susquatch I just looked at the Cooper Firearms. Before I looked into Cooper Rifles when you said Cooper single shot I was guessing something similar to the vaunted Ruger No. 1 . However after looking at the Coooer rifles I noticed had they were all bolt action rifles wether repeater or single shot.

375rifleman

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts