Which ruger wheel gun for MT backpacking?

I know this aint what your asking but a SA is not what I would want when SHT..... EAA witness in 10mm. It might be a little light but there's 16 rounds behind it!.

A good choice, provided one has access to get it rolling.

I'm old, fast, and slow-my goal is to get one off before contact. Likely scorch hide.

I recently purchased a Taurus tracker 44mag for a hunting trip to Idaho this September. I was quite impressed with it . 24 grains of 296 and a 250gr solids are my pet load .

My hunting partner caries a Taurus tracker in 44mag that is very easy to pack, not a Taurus fan but this little gun aint bad.

I too own a Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag (Taurus 44TRACKER4B Revolver | .44 Mag 5 Rounds Blue Steel) for a few years now; it's 4" ported and my current load is 250g partition gold. Like the above comments, this ugly beast is surprisingly accurate and pleasant to shoot, very impressed thus far. It's what I carry when bowhunting along with a bear spray. My hunting buddy's choice is the Taurus Judge 45 LC/.410; don't remember his current load but he too caries a bear spray.

When out hiking/backpacking with my wife (she too carries a bear spray), I carry the .44 Mag, bear spray, and Thor, my Karelian Bear Dog along with us. :D

[ame]https://youtu.be/_2NACpy2NIE?t=2[/ame]

(NOTE: A couple of inaccurate comment from the video; they make very good family pets but patience and training is required; it also comes in brown/tan but rare ... breed standard is ~70% black, ~30% white.)

Attachments

• P1020559.JPG
    P1020559.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 120
I carry the Ruger Toklat in 454. I use the diamond D chest holster and it keeps the gun ready to roll at all times. I like the double action for the chance that i can't stroke the hammer. I also load 335 hard cast bullets but with 296 for great power and accuracy out to reasonable defensive distances. I would recommend a DA in either 44 or 454.

I carry the Ruger Toklat in 454. I like the double action for the chance that i can't stroke the hammer. I also load 335 hard cast bullets but with 296 for great power and accuracy out to reasonable defensive distances.

That's a nice option. Ever chronographed your MV with 296 and the 335gr bullets, out of that 5" barrel?

I could only get 1,100fps from my 2 1/2" barrel with H110. Gained 100fps using 2400.

I've been meaning to, just have to figure out how to strap the magnetospeed to it. I run within book specs, so i can't imagine it'd be anything out of the ordinary.

My brother owns, has owned, and has chrono'd multiple .454 Casulls over the years. Owns/operateds a gun shop. He has a penchant for .454s. He's shown me the recorded MVs from several Freedom Arms, and a variety of other brands of revolvers. The MVs he's recorded are sometimes surprisingly dumbfounding...

I shoot the same bullet as you out of a 2.5" Ruger Alaskan, so I was wondering how much MV I'm losing with a barrel 1/2 the length of yours. My 1,200fps load with 2400 is maxed out in my Ruger Alaskan. There is no load data for the .454 using 2400 powder, so I loaded until case extraction began to get sticky and backed off a bit from there.

we shall see. i need to get some loaded up to take fishing. the russian river is starting to pick up and the kenai isn't too far behind. I sure don't want to be down there without it, had a big black bear walk behind me last year when i was in the water, could've been bad...

morning, look at ballistics of 10mm in Glock 20 6" barrel with 185gr. STP's

13 rounds in clip. clips change very quickly, verses recoil of big bangers. the pro

hunter from Australia uses the 10mm exclusively. I have 3 . very impressive

velocities. shot 400+ lb. hog. knock him down. hit him 2 more times. down.

I have 2 M-29's in 44 magnum. 1 61/2 1 10". I use for hunting 240gr. STP's

Not fun to shoot from the bench. I put custom grips on both to help with

recoil. just a thought????:cool:lightbulbgun)

I have a S&W model 610 in 10mm. 180 grain bullet going 1300 FPS.
Would that be sufficient or would i be under gunned?

I have a S&W model 610 in 10mm. 180 grain bullet going 1300 FPS.
Would that be sufficient or would i be under gunned?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.