Ruger FTW Hawkeye Hunter/HS Precision Stock Question

Cholla

I would like to mount a Picatinny rail for a bi-pod on the forend of the stock. The stock is made by HS Precision so I assume it has aluminum all the way out. Short of drilling a hole to see what I hit, I would like to know if any of you have experience in this matter.

Been a while since I've played with one but the old hs made sendero stocks had aluminum inserts in the forearm near for the sling studs. It was a coarser thread pitch than normal machine scree studs. Maybe a 10-24 vs the 10-32 stud threads. Should make fixing it to the stock easier, 10-24 is easier to find an appropriate faster for. The core material takes a screw decently, so even without the aluminum it should be something adaptable.

It has a sling stud now? If so, I'd think that you can unscrew it to determine what threads it does use. I use a drift punch through the hole to turn them.

Coarse threads are the default for aluminum in general industry practice, so if that was followed and it is a #10 size, they will be 10-24 threads. However, gun industry practice is Fine, Extra Fine, and even Extra Extra Fine threads. So sling studs tend to be 10-32, which is merely just Fine threads. I want to say that I have seen a sling stud in 10-24, but I can't recall when and where.

Other than drilling the hole I've no idea how to determine if you'll hit more aluminum. I guess if you have access to NDT equipment you could X-Ray the forend.

In my HS Precision stocks for Savage and Remington rifles, the aluminum bar stops just forward of the sling stud. I added a pic rail by using the sling stud hole for the forward screw of the pic rail, and then drilled and tapped a hole for the aft screw.

The HS Precision sling studs in my stocks were threaded 10 x 32. I used 1" 10 x 32 screws to secure the pic rails on my stocks.

Easy job.

In my HS Precision stocks for Savage and Remington rifles, the aluminum bar stops just forward of the sling stud. I added a pic rail by using the sling stud hole for the forward screw of the pic rail, and then drilled and tapped a hole for the aft screw.

The HS Precision sling studs in my stocks were threaded 10 x 32. I used 1" 10 x 32 screws to secure the pic rails on my stocks.

Easy job.
This was going to be my plan. Thanks.