Ruger American Ranch 223 or 300 BO

Braunschweiger

Been really getting into Coyote hunting here in Central Missouri over the past year. Been doing a lot of reading here and predator master forums. I have plenty of rifles to take out in the woods but I'm wanting a dedicated daytime coyote gun that I don't mind if it gets beat up (I already have mk18 mod 1 with peq15 for night time hunts but here in Missouri it is STILL illegal to do so *sigh*)

I was looking at the Ruger American Ranch models with the "AR" pattern mags. Seems like a sweet, lightweight, compact setup for use with one of my suppressors. My only dilemma now is choosing between 300 BO and 223. I already have several 223s and 1 300 BO AR. I reload everything... so I can pretty much spit out whatever I want bullet wise. Will either buy a Leupold or Burris to keep cost down (I run NF everything else) or maybe an SWFA fixed 6 power. - May be too high of power in case they come out behind me like they've done in the past.

Looking at the specs for both, the 223 is 1:8 twist (should stabilize everything but would really like to also be able to throw the heavier bullets)

The blackout is 1:7 twist... which should also be great for subsonic.

Likelihood of any shots over 300-400 are slim. So what do you all think is the better route? Go with 300 BO so I can go down to the 110's and subsonics, or go with another 223?

Last edited:
Been really getting into Coyote hunting here in Central Missouri over the past year. Been doing a lot of reading here and predator master forums. I have plenty of rifles to take out in the woods but I'm wanting a dedicated daytime coyote gun that I don't mind if it gets beat up (I already have mk18 mod 1 with peq15 for night time hunts but here in Missouri it is STILL illegal to do so *sigh*)

I was looking at the Ruger American Ranch models with the "AR" pattern mags. Seems like a sweet, lightweight, compact setup for use with one of my suppressors. My only dilemma now is choosing between 300 BO and 223. I already have several 223s and 1 300 BO AR. I reload everything... so I can pretty much spit out whatever I want bullet wise. Will either buy a Leupold or Burris to keep cost down (I run NF everything else) or maybe an SWFA fixed 6 power. - May be too high of power in case they come out behind me like they've done in the past.

Looking at the specs for both, the 223 is 1:8 twist (should stabilize everything but would really like to also be able to throw the heavier bullets)

Likelihood of any shots over 300-400 are slim. So what do you all think is the better route? Go with 300 BO so I can go down to the 110's and subsonics, or go with another 223?
Something else to consider might be the 6.5 grendel. Kind of splits the difference between the 300blk and the 223. I just put one together and love it.

Last edited:
I have one in 300blk and love it, but shoot subsonic and suppressed only. If you have a can and want to shoot subsonic and suppressed, I would go 300blk.
If you have no plans for subsonic, stick with 223 (suppressed or not).
I should've mentioned I have multiple cans and I pretty much run all my rifles suppressed.

Something else to consider might be the 6.5 grendel. Kind of splits the difference between the 300blk and the 223. I just put one together and love it.
i actually have a 6.5 Grendel. It's in AR platform. Killed my first coyote with it. It's just heavy to lug around (it was a bench gun which then I sort of converted to a hunting rifle) it's a tac driver though!

i actually have a 6.5 Grendel. It's in AR platform. Killed my first coyote with it. It's just heavy to lug around (it was a bench gun which then I sort of converted to a hunting rifle) it's a tac driver though!
They are sweet - mine is a bolt gun (howa mini). I keep in under the seat of my truck for coyotes or whatever else I happen to come across.

That's a gun I've wanted a long time. I love the Howas. Highly underrated
I agree. Mine shoots the cheap hornady black ammo sub moa. Thats all I have shot out of it.
4FF72011-8C12-4F85-B835-4EB79A99AF9C.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree. Mine shoots the cheap hornady black ammo sub moa. Thats all I have shot out of it.
View attachment 165877
The BO is a bad choice, run the ballistics on a 300 BO shooting subs...if you zero at 100 yards a 200 yard shot has ~15 MOA drop with a 198 grain Lehigh defense controlled fracture, 300 yards is ~33 MOA drop...it's like lobbing artillery. You definitely have to shoot a FFP reticle, not enough time to dial, and there is little room for error, your'e dropping a foot every 25 yards when shooting subs. I gave it my best but there's a reason nobody uses it unless all your shots are close. It's OK out of a blind in front of a feeder situation but tough otherwise. Conventional bullets won't perform at sub velocity giving zero expansion, and controlled fracturing bullets are over $1 each

I have a ruger ranch 300bo and its a fun gun to play with but i would look hard at any of the 6.5 grendel options. I believe ruger is coming out with a ranch model 6.5 grendel, im thinking about picking one up myself to play with.

I live in sw missouri if you ever want to get together and do some coyote hunting let me know. I go every chance I get

Several of us used to get together and coyote hunt with dogs. It was a great time and some thing I wish we could still do but so many landowners do not like it so we gave it up. I am also from central Missouri and always hunted with 22-250 loaded with sierra 40 gr. hp. Most were drt and no exit. Have fun and unless you are in populated areas go with something reasonably flat shooting. maybe 223 with lighter bullets with rapid expansion.

You'll have to practice a lot with BO to hit predictably at distance. Rainbow trajectory!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.