223 or 22-250

While I am an avid fan of my various 223/Ar15's for coyotes, using 55-69 gr bullets with my 1:9 twist barrels, I do like the 22-250 for +300 yard work. A few years ago I won a Savage Predator in 22-250 at an Egg Shoot. It's a full camo affair bolt rifle with a medium heavy 9:1 twist barrel that is not overbearing and balances like a sporter weight rifle. After some minor cleaning up of the barrel channel to get it fully floated I was pleasantly surprised to find that with just about all 55gr factory ammo I fed it, everything groups at .5MOA or less...the best being $8/box Remington promo loads from kmart of which went back andnbought a case. With these cheap loads it's deadly on coyotes out to 500 yards with a noticeable improvement in wind drift over my 223's. This Pradator, while nothing fancy, has become one of my favorite coyote shooters.

Good info to know. I am throwing around the idea of buying a sporter 22-250 and then finding an additional take off from another gun for it. Then when my kids get old enough to shoot I would have a spare stock to cut down to fit them someday. Is this a loopy idea? Just trying to save a few bucks down the road I guess

Not a loopy idea. You might consider going for a youth/compact model to begin with and putting it in a full size stock later. That way, you would only have to fit/bed the stock. No need to cut it down or fit a new recoil pad.

Very interesting. For this winter I am gonna use my old 270. I started Reloading for it for the first time and it is shooting really well right now. I handled an MVP, not the laminate one, and I want as impressed as I hoped it would be. I have heard it still shoots though

Very interesting. For this winter I am gonna use my old 270. I started Reloading for it for the first time and it is shooting really well right now. I handled an MVP, not the laminate one, and I want as impressed as I hoped it would be. I have heard it still shoots though

I think using and refining what you already have is a wise move. I would expect your .270 to serve you well.

The MVP is a Savage-level rifle, with similar features and comparable fit and finish. There are much nicer choices available, but at a much different price point. A good friend of mine had a very nice CZ 527 Varmint in .223 awhile back. He still kicks himself for letting it go.

Whatever caliber you decide on be sure and try Hornady. They shoot under .50 in my 223, 22-250, and 243.

My vote is the 223. Get one with at least a 9 twist which will give you a ton of versatility. you can shoot 40 gr bullets up to 65 SGK. One of my coyote hunting partners was a 22-250 advocate and now all he shoots is a 223 with the 53 gr Vmax. I shoot a custom 1-8 twist 223 with 65 gr SGKs and I have killed several coyotes at 275-3010 yds ... all one shot kills. Less powder and longer barrel life with the 223 as well.

I'm late to the party, sorry.

If you don't mind tearing up hides, 22-250.

If you don't mind runners and lost coyotes, 223.

If you don't want either of these, go with something in 6mm.

ITS NOT WHAT U DRIVE ITS WHERE U PARK THE PROJECTILE THE 223 WILL HOLD ITS OWNgun)gun)gun):)

My vote is the 223. Get one with at least a 9 twist which will give you a ton of versatility. you can shoot 40 gr bullets up to 65 SGK. One of my coyote hunting partners was a 22-250 advocate and now all he shoots is a 223 with the 53 gr Vmax. I shoot a custom 1-8 twist 223 with 65 gr SGKs and I have killed several coyotes at 275-3010 yds ... all one shot kills. Less powder and longer barrel life with the 223 as well.

3010yds wowzerz. lol JK

I have the 65's loaded up for this years coyotes. I was hoping that they would knock em down good. From what Ive seen by shooting steel all this summer, is by the sounds of the impacts it has on steel at 400yds its good up till there. Then you can tell that it really starts to die off.

Well, I was just about ready to order a new barrel for my 7RM Sendero and do a custom off of it, but started having a little remorse. It is a sub 1/2 minute gun out past 1000yds, so I am deciding I am going to leave it alone and go with a good everyday gun that I could use to let my kids shoot a little with in the future.

I haven't bought it yet, but I have decided a Rock River Predator Pursuit with the 20" barrel will suit my needs. It will be a good everyday gun for me, and a low recoil gun for when I am starting to work with my girls on shooting if they show interest. Plus, with the 1:8 twist in it, I can shoot a little heavier bullets for bucking wind if I want, or my girls can use it to shoot antelope at closer ranges as they grow. I have a 270 also for when they get older too, and have the opportunity to own another 7RM and a 300 RUM for pretty reasonable, so I will have plenty of bigger rifles.

I decided on the 223 AR for reasons of cost efficiency to shoot, and a good durable weapon to meet my needs. It fits right in with the type of gun I am missing in my collection.

I have a buddy who has one of these, and his will shoot just about any ammo, even the super cheap stuff, under 1 MOA. I will have to do some testing once I buy it. Might have to wait till after Christmas to make the big purchase though.

I also shoot the 223 rem with the 65 grain sierra gameking. The rifle is a factory tikka t3 lite with a 10 twist barrel. I tried all kinds of loads with lighter bullets and these were the most accurate.

Well, I went and handled an AR a little bit more the other day to make sure it was what I wanted. Turns out, I just can't seem to get excited about it. I have always kind of been a bolt action junkie and I can't seem to kick it I guess. Who know what I will end up with!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.