Tikka 22 250 1@8 twist or ruger 22 250 1@10 for coyotes.

204_ruger

I am getting I think for Christmas. I also looked at the ruger 22 250 1@10. I going to use it on coyotes shooting 60gr Berger. Also fill my doe tags. 70gr Berger on deer. I have always had 1@12 and 1@14 twist. But want 1@10 or faster. May just shoot 70gr all the time. Will the 1@8 shoot 50gr nosler bt?

Do you mean Ruger American??

This is a good vid to watch-

If it is the RA it will be cheaper than the Tikka.

I havent fired a RA but I have 2 Tikka's, they are worth every cent imo.

To answer the last question shooting 50's out of a 1:8 is possible but I think it can be tricky to get right.
I havent tried it before but have heard of people having trouble but then again I think it would be down the the type of projectile.

I had 2 tikka nice rifles. I did not like the 1@14 twist. I sold it and bought 2 tc venture 22 250's. Does the tikka 22 250 1@8 have a fluted barrel? I know its ss . Wish it was blued. I look for a 1@8 in ruger could not find one.

I think the ruger will have no problem with the 70's as long as you load to the higher end of the recommended book loads, the tikka can stabilize all the 'heavies', no problem but you might have to load the lower end loads if you want to shoot the 50 grainers. When pushed hard in a fast twist barrel the lighter bullets can overstabalize and get a bit of a speed wobble going at closer ranges. This wobble seems to smooth out past a couple hundred yards from my experience. The Savage is also a good option, and you can't ever go wrong with a Ruger.

I've shot 70gr Speer semi spitzers out of my 1:14 Remington with no issues.

Its not about the weight, its about the lenght!

As with anything to do with stability as the bearing surface & the lenght of the projectiles start to get longer the faster the twist rate required.

Flat based heavier projectiles of the same weight will stabilize much easier than longer VLD's of the same weight.

I like the looks of the Bergara rifle 1@9 . I could shoot up to a 73gr Berger. It should shoot the 65gr gameking good. I have a bunch of them. But if I went with a 1@8 . I could shoot up too 80gr.

Lots of options, pick one and rock on. Regarding the yotes, work hard to kill everyone you can get on at 300 yards or less. Much beyond 300 on yotes gets fairly difficult for most people and most situations....

Any of those bullets will do just fine.

Sounds like you have plenty of the 65's, I'd say start there and if they perk well use them for anything that moves from deer down to mice:)

This stuff is only rocket science when we choose to make it so.

(and yes the 50's should do just fine in a 8 or 10 T)

I like the looks of the Bergara rifle 1@9 . I could shoot up to a 73gr Berger. It should shoot the 65gr gameking good. I have a bunch of them. But if I went with a 1@8 . I could shoot up too 80gr.
It will also shoot 69 tipped matchkings. 77tmks appeared stable @ 600 down at sea level so if your at any elevation you should be good as well

I would go the 8tw tikka and run the 69 TMK for all things mentioned. I have shot them out of a 223, 223Ai and 22cm and they Just. Flat. Kill.

The 65 SGK is another solid choice and will serve you equally well for all targets mentioned. You drop a little BC, but not really enough to make a big deal over, until you get out there a ways.

I like the tikka fluted barrel and clip. I like the bergara because blued and easy to find rings and bases. Just find some 700 rem. If I got the tikka I would have it dipped or I would paint it. Bergara wouldn't have to do anything too it.

You get what you pay for. The Tikka is fluted and the fit/finish is better and typically on all the ones I have handled, the bolt/action is much smoother. The Bergarra is less expensive and the bolt/action feels a little rougher. You can find rings for both pretty easily, with the nod going to the Rem700 footprint for aftermarket parts. Either rifle will serve you fine. Pick one and get to shooting, as it is far more enjoyable than hashing and re-hashing which one to purchase. Both are good options. Keep us posted on which way you go and the success you have with it.

I was at the gun shop today. The guy is checking on both. About the same price for both. On a 70gr Berger bullet what powder would you start off with? I have imr 4831 h4831sc h4831 RL15 h4350 imr 4350 and varget.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.