223 or 22-250

Hello. Wanted to chime in with what i did for my grand kids. I picked up a Stevens 200 {about the same as a Savage 10} in 308 lightly used and cheap. I screwed on a 22-250 new barrel form this site some one removed from a new rifle, and started them out with that. I think I gave about $65.00 delivered for that barrel. I've picked up a lightly used 243, and as removed new 7mm-08 barrels also from this site for future use all under $70.00 delivered. Now, I'm covered from 22-250, 243,7-08,and 308. Same platform for them . I've had good luck with the Tupperware stocks with a little epoxy foam in the forend and bedding and floating the barrel. Just my.02 . Good luck! It's lots of fun teaching youngsters to shoot and hunt. It'll take years off ya ! Chuck

Well, I went and handled an AR a little bit more the other day to make sure it was what I wanted. Turns out, I just can't seem to get excited about it. I have always kind of been a bolt action junkie and I can't seem to kick it I guess. Who know what I will end up with!

Amen! I have two AR varminters and a pile of bolts running the gamut. I could have whatever I want, but no more AR's for me.

Now that you're thinking clearly, I highly recommend the 22-250 or 243 Remington action based platform. It is your most convenient and versatile option for rebarreling and future modifications. Even if you spend $100-$150 more now, you will not regret it. Both calibers are known for smoking velocity. I believe that the 22-250 might of get the nod for accuracy out to 300 yards with bullets limited to about 55 grains in most factory twist offerings. The 243 generally will handle a little heavier projectile which is probably better if deer and antelope are part of the plan. Since we're talking about kids learning to hunt, I like the 243 better. If you're reloading, you will find accuracy from either. Go get one of those cheap ADL's in 243 from Academy Sports and dont look back.

I would have to agree with you at this point. Only thing I am noticing is I have become pretty well accustomed to heavier barreled guns. I have been chasing coyotes with my 270 win BDL this weekend and it is a pain to hold that thing still withoUT the extra weight. Thinking about doing an SPS Varmint and then when the kids get old enough I will find a compact stock to put on it for them or find a stock to cut down or something. Since there early shooting and hunting days will be done on a bench and/or prone I don't think the added weight would cause too much trouble. I feel like I am still leaning toward the 22-250 a little bit right now.

I would have to agree with you at this point. Only thing I am noticing is I have become pretty well accustomed to heavier barreled guns. I have been chasing coyotes with my 270 win BDL this weekend and it is a pain to hold that thing still withoUT the extra weight. Thinking about doing an SPS Varmint and then when the kids get old enough I will find a compact stock to put on it for them or find a stock to cut down or something. Since there early shooting and hunting days will be done on a bench and/or prone I don't think the added weight would cause too much trouble. I feel like I am still leaning toward the 22-250 a little bit right now.

Sounds like a good plan. Two years ago I bought a new Rem 700 SPS varmint rifle new in 7mm-08. Since then I have modified everything on it, and it is a shooter. I am quite fond of the 7mm-08 cartridge and deer hate it. Several years ago, I started my daughter off in a 7mm08 Savage with Accutrigger when she first learned to shoot. It was the right choice for us. I usually load 120gr Ballistic Tips running 3050 fps and recoil is quite mild. But they shoot many many bullet-powder combos well.
Jesse

Well, I ended up with a SPS Varmint 22-250. I then put a boyds laminate and timney trigger on it. Bedded the action.

2 questions

1) I bought a box of Hornady 55gr spire points to get it on paper and see how it does. If they shoot good I am going to buy more as they were reasonable at $38/50rds. Anybody ever have any luck with these?

2) the scope I had laying around to put on it has a problem with the cross hairs rotating. I might be in the market for a scope. Anybody got any suggestions in the budget scope department? I have been thinking about a Vortex Crossfire. I have one on another gun and for the very little money they cost. Any thoughts?

Got my answer on the ammo. After I got it dialed in a little I shot a 3 shot group that I could cover with a dime. I was pretty impressed for cheap factory ammo. Scope held up but I am seriously considering an upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.