Ruger American Ranch 223 or 300 BO

I guess I'm not really understanding the 300BO rainbow comments. If you compare ANY subsonic to a supersonic round, it's going to be lip sided.

.223 77grsubsonic .371 BC at 1050 FPS
.300 BO - .648 BC at 1020

When you compare those, the 300 crushes it.

Run those thru your calculator and you have ~200" of drop at 400 yards where as a typical coyote round is less than 2 feet at that range...that's almost 17 feet of holdover.
LOL

Agreed. But the .223 is even worse subsonic. Half the BC at same velocity.

A 110gr running at 2400 FPS isn't that terrible.

I picked up one of the American rifles in 5.56 with the AR mag well and the 16" barrel. I put my saker 556 supressor on it direct thread with a jamb nut. shot this group 5 shots with the black hills 77gr TMK. I then chronographed it and had a CDS dial built by Leupold for the VX3. great little coyote gun. I must have gotten the can in just the right place for that load because other loads were right around 1moa.

Attachments

• 77 gr TMK.jpg
    77 gr TMK.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
The BO is a bad choice, run the ballistics on a 300 BO shooting subs...if you zero at 100 yards a 200 yard shot has ~15 MOA drop with a 198 grain Lehigh defense controlled fracture, 300 yards is ~33 MOA drop...it's like lobbing artillery. You definitely have to shoot a FFP reticle, not enough time to dial, and there is little room for error, your'e dropping a foot every 25 yards when shooting subs. I gave it my best but there's a reason nobody uses it unless all your shots are close. It's OK out of a blind in front of a feeder situation but tough otherwise. Conventional bullets won't perform at sub velocity giving zero expansion, and controlled fracturing bullets are over $1 each
I am going to take that advice with confidence. I may go with Grendel or 223 then (even though I have multiple)

Several of us used to get together and coyote hunt with dogs. It was a great time and some thing I wish we could still do but so many landowners do not like it so we gave it up. I am also from central Missouri and always hunted with 22-250 loaded with sierra 40 gr. hp. Most were drt and no exit. Have fun and unless you are in populated areas go with something reasonably flat shooting. maybe 223 with lighter bullets with rapid expansion.
Good advice there. Typically most of my hunting ground will be max distance 500 yards. I agree that flat shooting is the key. If they are running and wont stop the faster the bullet gets there the better.

I picked up one of the American rifles in 5.56 with the AR mag well and the 16" barrel. I put my saker 556 supressor on it direct thread with a jamb nut. shot this group 5 shots with the black hills 77gr TMK. I then chronographed it and had a CDS dial built by Leupold for the VX3. great little coyote gun. I must have gotten the can in just the right place for that load because other loads were right around 1moa.
Wow! That's impressive!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.